Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MD007
Newcomer I

Your new annual membership Fee is now $125! How do you feel about that?

I think this is disgusting.  I dont feel I got value for money when it was $85 now how do you justify $125?

Its extortionate. 

258 Replies
MichaelW
Newcomer I

As someone that has 3 certs:

CISSP ($85/yr)

CCSP ($100/yr)

ISSMP ($35/yr)

Total: $220/yr

I'll take $125 total per year...  That's quite a lot cheaper for me...

cheungtsw
Newcomer I

It is outrages.  

Fyi, ITIL foundation & expert has no AMF.  PMP is usd150 but for 3 years.

I was being told we have been told we need to pay in front instead in the rear but I always thought we paid in front?!

doug37
Viewer II

This is NOT a modest increase. It's almost 50%. How does anyone call that modest? No one polled the membership (at least, I haven't heard of any poll) to see how we feel about the increase. Most comments I've read seem feel there's nothing we can do about it; we just have to take it. Is that really true? We should think about what can be done to, if not reverse this decision, get them to introduce a more "modest" increase. If nothing is done, next the price to take exams will increase (if they haven't already). I know of people who won't take the CISSP exam because the price is prohibitive.

Even though the website has been revamped, the CPE portion is not as good as what we had before - in my opinion. I still have CPEs listed as pending that I've posted months ago. And the webinars seem to be more infomercials for different companies, rather than truly educational.But like anything of this nature, when one is required to earn a certain number of points to keep a certification, etc., they do whatever has to be done, even if there isn't much value in it.

Since the benefit of this increase to the membership is questionable, who do you really think benefits? I think we all know the answer to that question. I'm in the US, and when I try to reach the main office it's extremely rare that anyone answers the phone. I leave voicemail, and rarely get a call back, and the one time someone did return my call, I wasn't in a position to answer. So on goes the phone tag, and I still haven't gotten my question answered.Something as simple as having enough staff to handle calls from the membership isn't to much to ask for - I don't think. A "modest" increase to handle something like that might be expected, but I wonder if ISC2 isn't top heavy.

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

Pending CPEs are in draft status - they are not waiting to be audited if that's what you think?!

pending-cpes.png

The above screenshot is from the CPE Portal Tutorial which is linked at the top of the CPE Portal:

https://www.isc2.org/-/media/B0218C6D9688461F900A48B2BF42D549.ashx

This post might help with future CPE submissions:

https://community.isc2.org/t5/Member-Support/How-Where-to-enter-for-CPE-for-completing-an-online-cla...

lmbcissp
Newcomer II

I was very surprised to learn today --not from an email to me as a member, but via a LinkedIn post about an online article**-- that ISC(2) is opening a Professional Development Institute and that it plans on hiring 18 staff to "manage content development and curriculum".  My thoughts immediately went this way:

1. That's what they're doing with the additional AMF money!
  2. When has ISC2 ever polled me about my professional development (PD) needs?
  3. Wait, so ISC(2) believes PD is all about courses??  That's a very limited view of PD!
  4. Wanna bet the PD courses will *not* be free to members?!
  5. Are they planning to involve members in the development of PD content (with or without acquiring CPEs?!)?

So, I'm very, very not impressed with the way ISC(2) has handled this increase in AMF.  I get that there's not been an increase in a long time and the ISC(2) organization is significantly larger than it was 15 years ago. However - there are a lot more people certified now than 15 years ago.  And I don't feel like I'm getting any more value than I was 15 years ago. 

Rob Slade had it right, feeling like a cash cow.

**https://www.hrdive.com/news/cybersecurity-association-rolls-out-free-development-program-for-members...

steinarna
Newcomer I

Well written.
I have been certified and member since 2003 and I am far from impressed on the given value and absence of rewarding long term members.
natters
Newcomer I

Completely agree with you.

natters
Newcomer I

AMF is now a Tax !

TrueMe
Newcomer II

@lmbcissp wrote:

I was very surprised to learn today --not from an email to me as a member, but via a LinkedIn post about an online article**-- that ISC(2) is opening a Professional Development Institute and that it plans on hiring 18 staff to "manage content development and curriculum".  My thoughts immediately went this way:

1. That's what they're doing with the additional AMF money!
  2. When has ISC2 ever polled me about my professional development (PD) needs?
  3. Wait, so ISC(2) believes PD is all about courses??  That's a very limited view of PD!
  4. Wanna bet the PD courses will *not* be free to members?!
  5. Are they planning to involve members in the development of PD content (with or without acquiring CPEs?!)?

So, I'm very, very not impressed with the way ISC(2) has handled this increase in AMF.  I get that there's not been an increase in a long time and the ISC(2) organization is significantly larger than it was 15 years ago. However - there are a lot more people certified now than 15 years ago.  And I don't feel like I'm getting any more value than I was 15 years ago. 

Rob Slade had it right, feeling like a cash cow.

**https://www.hrdive.com/news/cybersecurity-association-rolls-out-free-development-program-for-members...

Nod on the notification, I just learned from you! I do not think it a coincidence this announcement just dropped.  So to all those that posted on this thread - it does seem someone might be listening.

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

The Professional Development Institute has been around for a while but was formally announced last week - I certainly received an email about it from ISC2 on the 14th Feb.

Maybe you guys need to update your communication preferences in your profiles on the member portal?

Also, just to clarify, the courses are available at no additional cost to members.