Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CraginS
Defender I

Ridiculous Community Censorship

I just posted a reply in the thread Is SMS 2FA Sufficient Login Protection ?

However, before the Community site allowed the post, i had to remove one identified “bad word” from the content: p0?# (only actually spelled out). I substituted “adult entertainment magazines and videos” for that word and the post was allowed.

You have got to be kidding me! 

Who in the world populated the “bad words” filter list for the site, and what do they think they are protecting us from ?

Focusing on the specific case, neither p0?# nor p0?#ography are inappropriate words, even though content that meets the definition of such may be improper here. In fact, in the infosec business we have specific need to discuss how to establish enterprise policies against p0?# in the workplace, how to enforce such policies, as well as how to inspect and filter for p0?3ography at network boundaries and inside enterprise data storage.

Come on, folks, how about the site administrators acting like professionals here and also treating the community members as professionals!

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
20 Replies
denbesten
Community Champion

Not sure if you realize it, but this community is IAAS.  The underlying provider is Lithium Technologies.  They sell to Best Buy, Dell, banks, ISPs, News media, etc.  Since Lithium wishes to keep marketing their wares, they likely strive to remain conservative in their settings so that neither their customers nor themselve find themselves facing unexpected bad press. (ISC)² likely takes the well-founded stance of leaving settings at manufacturer defaults unless there is good reason to change.

Flyslinger2
Community Champion

I'm so anxious for my email that says I am fully vetted. Should be one or two weeks max.  

I so can't wait to jump from this bubblegum wrapper site to one that has meat and gravitas.

Baechle
Advocate I

@Flyslinger2 wrote:

I'm so anxious for my email that says I am fully vetted. Should be one or two weeks max.  

I so can't wait to jump from this bubblegum wrapper site to one that has meat and gravitas.

What site would that be?

TimG
Newcomer III

Ha!

Reminiscent of the infantile web filters of a couple of decades ago. I remember students at the university where I worked at the time being unable to search for jobs in the counties of Essex, Sussex or Middlesex, thanks to the efforts of one department administrator. Using manufacturer default settings comes with a price tag, clearly...

Flyslinger2
Community Champion

This blurb discusses the final destination!

Baechle
Advocate I

@Flyslinger2 wrote:

This blurb discusses the final destination!

<Sigh>

Groups.io is stuck as it is, a single-group mailing list.  In my experience it is repeating the Yahoo! forum history of being full of folks that are bitter that spend more of their energy complaining and comparing anecdotes than discussing and practicing their craft.

This Community is still your Community even if you chose to deride it or abandon it.  It represents (ISC)^2, its certifications, and certification holders whether you choose to participate or not.  Membership in the other forum doesn't make a CISSP any more "Elite".  And lack of membership and contribution toward making this Community something to be proud of says more about if a CISSP considers it just a title to possess or of they take ownership over what the future of the certification and its public image is.

Now this thread has pointed out an interesting quirk in the content filtering.  Another thread has pointed out that the content is externally indexed and searchable.  The only real benefit I've seen of the super secret squirrel groups.io forum is that because it's not externally indexed and searchable, it tends to get a little more trollish and crass toward each other; while here it's directed more at (ISC)^2's Marketing and Community tech support folks.

Thanks to Rob, Dr. Shelton, Dain, and a few others, 99% (estimated) of the content on there is repeated here anyway.

Flyslinger2
Community Champion

I'm not deriding the content.  It's the medium that is the distraction.  

If this forum is so heavily moderated that the "complainers" are silenced what good does that do? Part of making ourselves better practitioners is the mentoring of others.  We are all not perfect.  Along with the continual improvement that we subscribe to from an education perspective should also be behavioral modification.  Many is the time that I've had someone put an "electronic" arm around me and encouraged me to a better way.  I would think that we would do the same for complainers.  

Baechle
Advocate I

The complainers aren’t silenced? WTF are you talking about?

Every time someone has screamed censorship here it’s been because of a misunderstanding or a configuration error that the tech support works to fix (Once it’s explained rationally, rather than with Alex Jones level provocation).
Flyslinger2
Community Champion

If ...