Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
denbesten
Community Champion

BrightTALK CPE auto submissions.

Earlier this week, a webinar actually auto-submitted its CPEs for me. This is unusual in that BrightTALK "never" does that for me.

The thing I did differently was to open it from https://www.isc2.org/News-and-Events/Webinars/ThinkTank and let the web site redirect me to BrightTALK to start the webinar.

My normal behavior is to go directly to the BrightTalk (ISC)² channel (or some other channel) and select the webinar I was interested in. This has been my normal way of viewing and also appears to be why auto-submit "always" fails for me.

I got in the habit of going directly to bright talk because it allows me to view in "Theater Mode" (full-window) in addition to the "tiny slides" or "full screen" offered by the  <FRAME> approach used by (ISC)².

Now I know. Either start at the (ISC)² site or file the paperwork on my own.

13 Replies
Tim_ISC2
ISC2 Team

As long as your Brighttalk account has your Member number, CPEs will be applied to your record regardless of how you are accessing the webcast (via the (ISC)2 site or directly from Brighttalk). It can take 5 - 10 business days for your record to reflect the addition of CPE(s), but as long as we have your member number included on the Brighttalk record, we can match things up.

denbesten
Community Champion

Thanks for the insight.  I separately sent my member ID and my BrightTALK information to membersupport@isc2.org to see if we can get this straightened out.  

green20151
Newcomer III

I'll try that.  Thanks for the tip -- 

denbesten
Community Champion

Member support did promptly get back to me with more details (below).  

Although I truly appreciate the insights, the "delete everything and start over" approach is a bit harsh.  Amongst other things, I would lose my viewing history, which is a valuable datapoint for passing audits.

One of the downsides of "cloud everything" is that integration is difficult and tends to be 80% implemented. It's always the border cases and the "error correction" that get overlooked.  

It is not just (ISC)².  Integration is a widespread problem.  At my current company, my HR records were messed up for years because my name was entered slightly differently on two systems.  Then, some integrator came along and tried to hook systems together by name matching (bad idea).  I ended up with two HR records and nobody knew it.  Comedy ensued, but at least my paycheck kept coming.

Thank you for your e-mail.

The Member ID number is not stored in your profile or asked during the regular BrightTALK profile set-up process.
It is a separate question that is asked once you go to register or view a webinar for the first time in any of the (ISC)² Channels. You will be asked this in each (ISC)² Channel. If you have accidently selected No (you are not a member) and did not provide a Member ID number you cannot go back and add this at another time. You must delete the account and then create a new one. You can do this by the following steps:

1. Sign into youBrightTALKaccount
  2. Click on the profile icon in the top, right corner of the webpage
  3. Select Edit Profile
  4. Click “Delete me fromBrightTALK

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Warm Regards,

Mary Adams
Customer Service Coordinator
(ISC)², Inc.

msantare
Viewer

Good Information.

I had the exact same thing happen.  It seemed to happen around the first of the year which also was during my membership renewal. (I don't know if they are related.)  I don't want to delete and then re-establish my account and lose my viewing history, so I'll use your re-direct.

Thanks for posting. 

CEMyers
Newcomer III

My wife has recently gone into hospital so I missed several webinars I had signed up to.  However, I retrospectively viewed these webinars (following the post webinar links emailed to me) and BrightTALK has registered me as viewing several on my profile. 

I do not seem to have been credited with any CPE for these activities - how do I get the CPEs assigned or have I simply "missed out"?

denbesten
Community Champion

Manually enter them yourself.  If you did the work, you deserve the credit.  For many of us, BrighTALK correctly files less than half the time.  Some of us add entries immediately and remove any duplicates that show up; others keep an auxiliary records and add anything that is missing a week or two later.  

From a record-keeping perspective, you might want to screenshot and email yourself your BrightTALK viewing history.  They only keep the 10 most recent records, which may not reach far enough back in time if you need to come up with audit evidence.

CEMyers
Newcomer III

I have submitted the paperwork myself.  All are accepted save one which is showing as draft.  How do I access this to submit it - or does this really mean awaiting acceptance?

darknetone
Viewer II

Just adding to the pile,... Bright Talk not auto submitting for me either,.. they used to,... fun times.