Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erwindus
Contributor II

Replacement of Infosecurity Professional Magazine

With the November/December 2022 issue being the last issue of the Infosecurity Professional Magazine, when will the successor (online only) be announced? And will we be able to earn CPEs with the successor?

38 Replies
denbesten
Community Champion

For the ill-informed (as I was), the following appeared in the Nov/Dec 2022 ISP issue....

This Editor’s Note is my final because this is the last edition of the (ISC)² membership magazine—at least as we’ve known it for the past 15 years.

Readers will still find quality professional- and peer-written articles as we advance, but beginning in January, a new content platform will be presented with a global focus. It’s part of a broader organizational initiative to unite cybersecurity professionals worldwide fighting threats that know no borders. [cite]

Until I read the above (today), I was under the impression that they were just dropping the PDF, which they did effective with the Nov/Dec issue, but it now is clear that a bigger move is afoot, explaining why the Jan/Feb 2023 issue has not yet been released and triggering @erwindus 's question.

Kaity
Community Manager

Hi everyone! 

We will begin publishing new content this month and provide the same CPE opportunities as we have in the past. Stay tuned for notifications on what to read and links for future quizzes! 

ALKahn10
Newcomer III

I want the PDF version back and honestly do not like the current format.  Infosecurity Magazine became my magazine to take on a plane.  Now, because I need internet access to read it - I'll be less likely to read.

I hope they bring back the pdf version otherwise I'll unlikely read!

---
Andrew L. Kahn, CISSP, CCSP, CEH
Ham Radio Callsign: WA8LIV
ChrisGreen
ISC2 Team

Hello everyone

Just wanted to follow-up on Kaity's post. While InfoSecurity Professional has concluded as a bi-monthly magazine in both its PDF and web editions, we are not stopping our editorial content for members and the wider industry.

Later this month, our team of writers will begin publishing articles to a new online home – a single destination to find and enjoy all our editorial content – that will feature a greater variety and volume of content than we were able to publish via InfoSecurity Professional. We will also be publishing more frequently.

Members will still be able to earn the same number of CPE credits every two months by reading our content and completing a bi-monthly quiz.

While we have an exciting line-up of new journalists on board, member participation in our editorial output remains essential. What is coming is your publication and will continue to be a platform for you to contribute, comment and be published. If you have an idea for an article or want to put yourself forward as an expert commentator we can quote, please get in contact at communications@isc2.org.

We will be sending out regular updates to members about new content and the opportunities to earn CPEs as quizzes as they go live.

denbesten
Community Champion

@ChrisGreen wrote:

Later this month, our team of writers will begin publishing articles to a new online home.

Thank you for sharing the additional details.  Much appreciated.

The one common piece of feedback I am seeing both here and the prior posting is the desire for some sort of "offline" edition.  Some of us find ourselves in places without mobile data and are looking to make good use of our unplugged time. 

All I personally "need" is the content.  Fancy formatting is unimportant; pictures don't need to be "wrapped", and it certainly does not need to "look like a magazine".  Even something as simple as "one giant web page" that we could print-to-PDF or send-to-Kindle would do the trick.

denbesten
Community Champion

@ChrisGreen wrote:

...member participation in our editorial output remains essential...you to ... comment ...

I think you may have stumbled into an interesting idea.... at the bottom of each article include a "discuss this article" link to a dedicated Community page. One sees this quite often in "mainstream media" and it does seem to drive engagement.  

And you might consider making the discussion pages members-only to help keep out the kooks that tend to show up in the off-center media.

JoePete
Advocate I

@denbesten wrote:

The one common piece of feedback I am seeing both here and the prior posting is the desire for some sort of "offline" edition.  Some of us find ourselves in places without mobile data and are looking to make good use of our unplugged time. 

All I personally "need" is the content.  Fancy formatting is unimportant; pictures don't need to be "wrapped", and it certainly does not need to "look like a magazine".  Even something as simple as "one giant web page" that we could print-to-PDF or send-to-Kindle would do the trick.

I agree content is king. Hire people who can think critically and write well (in that order of priority). I'm not sure how (ISC)2 intends to distribute this content (podcasts, social media, RSS feeds, etc.), but my guess is most of us already have our daily security feeds. So off the bat there is going to be some competition for our attention. If nothing else, at least the magazine was a distinct format.

The nice thing about print is that we are dealing with editing, photography, graphics, layout and then production and distribution costs. In the good old days, to get a message out meant it had to be good and vetted because no one was going to waste such resources on garbage. That is something we lost time. Complementing that economic shift, we have the Communications Decency Act of 1996, which basically absolved online media (especially social media) from the liabilities of a normal publisher. What we did is lower the bar - economically and legally - for the publishing of content, and I think we are the worse for it. Maybe that will change with time.

J_Saputo
Newcomer I

Bring back the PDF - the new format and layout is, said politely, unremarkable.

jimscard
Newcomer III

I wholeheartedly agree -- I don't need another blog or web page to read online.  

Jim Scardelis, M.S., CISSP, CISA, CEH, PCI Secure Software, Secure SLC, P2PE, P2PE Application & 3DS Assessor, PCIP, CIPP/US, CIPP/C, CIPP/E, CIPT, CTT+
Any views or opinions contained in this communication are solely those of the author.