Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erwindus
Contributor II

Replacement of Infosecurity Professional Magazine

With the November/December 2022 issue being the last issue of the Infosecurity Professional Magazine, when will the successor (online only) be announced? And will we be able to earn CPEs with the successor?

38 Replies
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

Hi all,

I know you've all had questions about the (ISC)² Magazine. We've been working on a news site for you. We are happy to launch a news site from our editorial team. This is exciting, you'll be able to read and access news in a timely fashion and you can even contribute. Learn more about it from a write up on our blog where we have FAQs as well.

https://blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/2023/02/isc2-members-at-the-center-of-cybersecurity-content-2023.htm...

Be sure to read about how to earn CPE credits - it is explained in the blog (along with other anticipated questions). 

ISC2 Community Manager
ALKahn10
Newcomer III

I honestly don't like these changes.  This is a less consumable format than previous editions.

---
Andrew L. Kahn, CISSP, CCSP, CEH
Ham Radio Callsign: WA8LIV
JoePete
Advocate I

@ALKahn10 wrote:

I honestly don't like these changes.  This is a less consumable format than previous editions.

I envision someone at some point down the road, having the light-bulb moment and saying "what we need is a 'curated' blog!'" Someone else will join in, "Yes! A selection of blog posts, and maybe on varying topics and of varying lengths!" Someone else will say, "Great idea! And we'll do it each month, create a consistent expectation and communication." "Brilliant!" another will chime in. And as they all wonder what to call this cutting-edge new form, some gray-hair in the corner will explain, "It's called a magazine."

As much as we claim that we move forward, time tends to prove that we move in circles.

ALKahn10
Newcomer III

(ISC)2 already runs a blog, I read it too.  It just feels like the magazine was an extra value add with our membership.

I'll support whatever they do externally but internally this change is miserable.  I do like the speed at which content can be added with a blog but a properly published magazine feels tangible.  Infosecurity Professional Magazine Digital Edition was finely done!  It offered the best of both worlds - all the meanwhile (ISC)2 was running their blog for fast delivery of content.

---
JoePete
Advocate I

@ALKahn10 wrote:

(ISC)2 already runs a blog, I read it too.  It just feels like the magazine was an extra value add with our membership.

Absolutely agree. Some sort of publication is at the center of nearly every member organization I can think of. It is a great tool for fostering affinity. Some of this gets into our tax and legal status as a non-profit, but do we really feel like a member association? Do we see ourselves as owners of the (ISC)2 or as customers of it - essentially buying a certification and its renewal every three years? Yes, of course, it's not just money; we have to prove ourselves through the exams and the CPEs, but do members see their connection to the (ISC)2 as transactional or associative? Especially if the idea is let's replace a members-only magazine with a freely accessible clearinghouse of articles, I don't see that as associative. I do see it as consistent with what the (ISC)2 has been doing in recent years. It's not like it is a surprise, but I think there is a "missing the forest for the trees element to the decision." Then again, if I were so brilliant or right, I wouldn't be sitting at my desk, getting back to the grind right now.

parmstrong
Viewer III

Shrinkflation

mcneiltag
Viewer

I agree with others, there should be an offline version.  It's nice to have a version that can be ready when not connected to the internet.  

ALKahn10
Newcomer III

It's March now, we've completely missed the January/February CPE quiz without it being posted.  Can we go back to the old magazine now?  This clearly isn't working.

---
erwindus
Contributor II

@ALKahn10 

CPE Quiz 'old style' was posted at the same time as the magazine was published, at the beginning of the two-month period (Jan-Feb magazine and quiz posed in 1st week of Jan), as the content the CPE quiz related to was available.

CPE quiz 'new style' is a CPE quiz based on articles, blogs etc. published in the News section. So, first the articles, blogs, etc. must be there before the CPE quiz can be posted. Therefore, I expect the Jan-Feb CPE quiz to be posted in the 1st week of March.

erwindus
Contributor II