Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MD007
Newcomer I

Your new annual membership Fee is now $125! How do you feel about that?

I think this is disgusting.  I dont feel I got value for money when it was $85 now how do you justify $125?

Its extortionate. 

258 Replies
amandavanceISC2

Thank you for your comments. Please know, we are aware of the issues and have a team working to resolve these as soon as possible. The issue with new members being able to pay has been resolved. @Frank_Mayer I will be happy to look into your profile if you'd like to email me at avance@isc2.org.

Best Regards,

Amanda Vance

cybermentor
Newcomer II

Well, luckily I don't care about their problems anymore.Roman Z
jrferrer
Viewer II

ok with that, if I get paid off the $ 85 that I already paid

Jerry
Newcomer III

It made me decide to get another ISC2 cert or two.  I have no real choice but to keep the CISSP unless I want to change employers.   

fyzaan
Newcomer II

This poor logic of more people comes in and need more money for Infra ? Just wow to know that. Every new member already pay what was enough to sustain infra. If there are New features, upgrade or New worthy material that only make sense. On Top of it exam is $250 and if each year fee is $125 in 3 years I will end up paying way more than actual certification cost. Typically a certification is valid for 3 years or until the product expires. I have that experience from Microsoft, Cisco, vMware, Juniper etc. ISC2 need to understand that certification and access to ISC2 portal are two different things. In-Case of SSCP or CISSP etc. I don't see the new material added or expires in years so what's the point at all to have them expire ? Some sense other than money needs to be put in to the management and decision makers for long run.

cybermentor
Newcomer II

I have abandoned CISSP and its exuberant fees.No regret.Roman Z
denbesten
Community Champion

@fyzaan wrote:

I have that experience from Microsoft, Cisco, vMware, Juniper etc.... what's the point at all to have them expire?....

You might want to read up on  ISO/IEC Standard 17024.   It drives much of their underlying decisions.  The certifiers value their 17024 much like you value your SSCP.

certification and access to ISC2 portal are two different things. 

Agreed. An overdue account should not have lesser access than a newly created account.  

Frank_Mayer
Contributor I

That is a very key point.  Meeting the  ISO/IEC 17024 standard is key to the value of any certification's acceptance.  Leaders world-wide need a way of determining if the person they hire actually have the skills to do the job.  In our ever more technical world, this is becoming a big challenge for hiring managers.  The (ISC)2 not only includes the test but the experience, ongoing proof of continual learning (CPE), and endorsement component that is just as important as passing any test.  The amount charge for annual renewal is very reasonable when compared to the benefit that the certification provides the person holding the certification and to the organization that hires the person and maintains them on staff.   I have been in government, industry, the military and now I am in academia and I know for a fact that the certification weighs heavily on being able to get and retain a good job.   People pay ~100K and four years to get college degrees that don't do that for them and I know that first hand.  Alos, I know for a fact that CompTIA, Cisco, SANs, and all the rest are following suit with what (ISC)2 is doing so I don't think we have a right to complain about the fee but the roll out to the new system did not go smooth and requiring people to have to manually pay each year instead of having auto pay is ridiculous.  We should also have provided to us some mandatory training sessions we can view online from (ISC)2 that we then take a quiz on like we do for the magazine and where we can re-review material until we pass the quiz to ensure that as members we have some key new developmental concepts in cybersecurity under our belt.  We need all this hassle if we want to be considered a valid accrediting body.  I see all the people saying the CISSP is not worth it but I totally disagree.  Learning to earn the CISSP and maintaining it makes me much sharper than I otherwise would be and I was in the business for over 40 years so I know for a fact that the level of professionalism is much greater due to the mandatory requirement for maintaining certifications.  Before certifications were considered much; it was a roll of the dice when it came to figuring out if the person or organization you were hiring had any clue about security before you engaged them for work.    Again,  other professions pay much more per year to stay qualified and our profession is very well compensated compared to most others.   Additionally, the CISSP is still among the top certifications and in my opinion that means the $125 is wortht he money especially when we consider that now people with multiple (ISC)2 certifications actually are paying less than before https://www.prepaway.com/certification/top-7-cybersecurity-certifications-consider-2019/ 

Respectfully,

Francis (Frank) Mayer, CISSP EMERITUS
fyzaan
Newcomer II

Does this certification have value ? Or how much it pays ? Or do you only need 1-2 certifications in It industry ? These questions were not part of the topic but as you bring in I will share my opinion. My issue was if you increase anything by 100% it should come up with some New or Additional Value which I don’t see or don’t know at least.
My company pay for it So no issue for me. In fact this single certification (SSCP) can’t get you anywhere at all in industry and no one pays 100k for this certification.
IT and Info Sec resources are normally equipped with several certifications from different vendors required by their job. It is not easy to maintain all certifications from different vendors just think about it having 6-8 certifications from different vendors and maintaining them ? In my case it’s crazy as I have 20+. I would rather pass a new exam every two year than paying for something like that.

Yes certifications are essential to get in but sooner or later organization figure out if resource have enough knowledge and experience and at that point certification doesn’t matter at all.

I will mention this again Certification and ISC2 portal access are two different things and it’s simple. Certification expires when the content is outdated or New product comes in. Unfortunately that’s not the case for information security domain and specifically for SSCP and CISSP.

Sent from my iPhone
denbesten
Community Champion

@fyzaan wrote:
Does this certification have value ? 

Only you can answer that for your situation.   As our careers have changed and matured, many of us have let less valuable (to us) certs lapse, some for cost reasons and some to slow down the crazy-train associated with maintaining 20+ certs.  

... increase anything by 100%...

Perhaps it would help to know that the SSCP is about 18 years old and the $65 AMF had not changed until this year.  Had they raised it 4% each year, the current price would have been about where it is today.