Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Champion

Re: Your new annual membership Fee is now $125! How do you feel about that?

@jsawyer773I hope you don't think I am a employee of ISC2 - I can categorically state I am not - certainly not whilst i reside at the bottom of the world in New Zealand.

Regards

Caute_cautim

Contributor I

I'm pretty sure I have waded in on a previous comment, but I can't quite remember. 

Yes the increase is a bit, well, not great. However, for those holding multiple certifications with ISC(2), it's probably a bit better. 

If you hold multiple certifications with ISC(2) as well as other vendors that demand an AMF along with CPE, then you might think this change is brilliant. So I suppose perspective is key here. 

I'm in my first 3 year cycle of CISSP, And I have worked in Cyber/Information Security for a fair bit longer than the 5 years ISC(2) wanted me to have. Whilst I'm not currently looking for employment, I do keep an eye on the industry's intake of talent, and the patterns that I see. I would argue that more than 70% of the InfoSec roles that I've seen in the past 12 months have placed the CISSP or CISM (ISACA) as either Desirable or Preferred certifications to hold. 

Around 20% show the CISSP or CISM as a requisite and a further 10% don't mention certification at all. (All approximations) - NOTE - I'm UK based. 

So I suppose my take on the CISSP isn't that it gets me a better job if I want it, but it would potentially tick a few of the "Good to Have's" to complement my professional experiences, if I were to apply for a role. A leg up or head start, if you will. 

As such, I would every individual would need to work out what it is they gain from holding the certification, and then weigh up what it means to you, personally and professionally. 

I don't want to encourage people to let their ISC(2) membership expire/lapse etc, purely from a selfish point of view. Being a part of such an organisation brings perceived benefits to me. 

Anyway, I hope not to see those who are unhappy leave, but should you choose to do so, I wish you all good fortune in the wars to come (subtle GoT reference, and I'm referring to cyber-battles that we are already fighting in daily). 

Cheers

Community Champion

@jsawyer773 wrote:

Sadly, it seems the only responses to my post are ISC2 employees that are desperately trying to defend the value of their certifications and by default, their organization as a whole. I think the whole thing has grown too big to defend, and is now out in the open for referendum. This is how things should be. I certainly hope other members speak up about this.

All of us will perceive this differently, depending on the part the cert's played for us. Someone who's holding multiple certifications / whose job mandates holding it / whose employer pays the AMFs / whose career has been enhanced by it, etc. wouldn't see it the way others do.

A lot of us have poured out our miseries on this thread at the start --- particularly because the AMF hasn't increased gradually, and the news about the hike hit many like a hurricane. I'm one of those, so I guess I've simmered down right now.

(ISC)2 has its own justification for the AMF increase --- as a member posted earlier in this thread --- but that definitely won't appeal to us all, so hopefully (ISC)2 is going to consider the valuable suggestions others already made here.

(Before you ask, I hold just 1 certification, it's not mandated by my job, and I bear the cost of the AMF)

Shannon D'Cruz,
CISM, CISSP

www.linkedin.com/in/shannondcruz
Newcomer I

Have anyone noticed that what do you see when you first login?

A big banner thing asking you for money.

What a greedy org.Cat Frustrated