Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MD007
Newcomer I

Your new annual membership Fee is now $125! How do you feel about that?

I think this is disgusting.  I dont feel I got value for money when it was $85 now how do you justify $125?

Its extortionate. 

258 Replies
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@jsawyer773I hope you don't think I am a employee of ISC2 - I can categorically state I am not - certainly not whilst i reside at the bottom of the world in New Zealand.

Regards

Caute_cautim

HTCPCP-TEA
Contributor I

I'm pretty sure I have waded in on a previous comment, but I can't quite remember. 

Yes the increase is a bit, well, not great. However, for those holding multiple certifications with ISC(2), it's probably a bit better. 

If you hold multiple certifications with ISC(2) as well as other vendors that demand an AMF along with CPE, then you might think this change is brilliant. So I suppose perspective is key here. 

I'm in my first 3 year cycle of CISSP, And I have worked in Cyber/Information Security for a fair bit longer than the 5 years ISC(2) wanted me to have. Whilst I'm not currently looking for employment, I do keep an eye on the industry's intake of talent, and the patterns that I see. I would argue that more than 70% of the InfoSec roles that I've seen in the past 12 months have placed the CISSP or CISM (ISACA) as either Desirable or Preferred certifications to hold. 

Around 20% show the CISSP or CISM as a requisite and a further 10% don't mention certification at all. (All approximations) - NOTE - I'm UK based. 

So I suppose my take on the CISSP isn't that it gets me a better job if I want it, but it would potentially tick a few of the "Good to Have's" to complement my professional experiences, if I were to apply for a role. A leg up or head start, if you will. 

As such, I would every individual would need to work out what it is they gain from holding the certification, and then weigh up what it means to you, personally and professionally. 

I don't want to encourage people to let their ISC(2) membership expire/lapse etc, purely from a selfish point of view. Being a part of such an organisation brings perceived benefits to me. 

Anyway, I hope not to see those who are unhappy leave, but should you choose to do so, I wish you all good fortune in the wars to come (subtle GoT reference, and I'm referring to cyber-battles that we are already fighting in daily). 

Cheers

Shannon
Community Champion

@jsawyer773 wrote:

Sadly, it seems the only responses to my post are ISC2 employees that are desperately trying to defend the value of their certifications and by default, their organization as a whole. I think the whole thing has grown too big to defend, and is now out in the open for referendum. This is how things should be. I certainly hope other members speak up about this.

All of us will perceive this differently, depending on the part the cert's played for us. Someone who's holding multiple certifications / whose job mandates holding it / whose employer pays the AMFs / whose career has been enhanced by it, etc. wouldn't see it the way others do.

A lot of us have poured out our miseries on this thread at the start --- particularly because the AMF hasn't increased gradually, and the news about the hike hit many like a hurricane. I'm one of those, so I guess I've simmered down right now.

(ISC)2 has its own justification for the AMF increase --- as a member posted earlier in this thread --- but that definitely won't appeal to us all, so hopefully (ISC)2 is going to consider the valuable suggestions others already made here.

(Before you ask, I hold just 1 certification, it's not mandated by my job, and I bear the cost of the AMF)

Shannon D'Cruz,
CISM, CISSP

www.linkedin.com/in/shannondcruz
cheungtsw
Newcomer I

Have anyone noticed that what do you see when you first login?

A big banner thing asking you for money.

What a greedy org.Cat Frustrated

datavox
Newcomer I

The membership is giving minimum, if any value to members.

It is disgusting to be held ransom to pay the annual maintenance fees.

So much about a professional non profit organisation! 

rottweiler
Newcomer I

I don't think anyone wants to pay higher fees for anything, and the % increase seems like a LOT.  But, let's put this in perspective:  Your AMFs increased by the cost of 1 Starbuck's Grande no-foam Latte per month. (not even a Venti !)

Is it annoying?  Yes. 

Is it a travesty?  No. 

I still believe the value of my CISSP to my career is well worth the cost of the AMFs.

- Rottweiler

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

It really depends how involved you are personally are as well, like the ancient art of Karma, one receives and benefits from what you put in - if you put in little, then don't expect much out of it. Regards

Caute_cautim
datavox
Newcomer I

Yes, there is Karma...The Organisation has been collecting AMF annually without giving back much to members...perhaps the Karma effects is showing?

datavox
Newcomer I

You may be right about the Starbucks. The question is how many people in this world has the spare cash to have a Grande no-foam Latte each month?

I am a member of many non profit organisation and they really are not for profit. ISC2...please show me what they have provided to the members. Apparently, not even a complimentary movie night or annual general meeting dinner for members to network with each other?

TrickyDicky
Contributor II

Apologies if this point has already been raised. I haven't read through all of the posts. 

In addition to my (ISC)2 certifications I maintain two ISACA certifications.  I have a choice (ISACA certs can be maintained without membership):

1. I can maintain both certificates at a fee of $85 each = $170

2. I can pay for membership and chapter dues ($135 + $20), and my certification is reduced to $45 each = $245

There are arguments to be made about benefits of membership, etc. but the bottom line is, that my membership and maintenance of two certifications with ISACA is going to cost me just under double of what I pay (ISC)2 for membership and maintenance of three certifications. 

I agree that holders of one certification will feel significant pain, whereas holders of two or more will see a reduction of their current AMFs. In many other certification bodies, multiple certifications means multiple AMFs.