Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MD007
Newcomer I

Your new annual membership Fee is now $125! How do you feel about that?

I think this is disgusting.  I dont feel I got value for money when it was $85 now how do you justify $125?

Its extortionate. 

258 Replies
cheungtsw
Newcomer I

Not even funny tbf.
Sharon_CISSP
Viewer II

This is a rip-off. A 40% increase! For what? The new web site isn't supported across platforms (for example; Chrome - functions terribly), adding CPEs can be buggy, and getting ISC2 ThinkTank CPEs credited has been non-existent. I've been waiting since Dec. 2018 for the 5 hour online webinar (DevSecOps: Integrating Security into DevOps), which I received the certificate, but no CPEs. No responses to my multiple emails. Maybe they can use the extra money to hire someone to do some work.

There is no justification for a 40% increase, but what can a captive audience do? Then they post this stupid question... how do you feel about that? REALLY!

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

Hi @Sharon_CISSP,

ISC2 didn't post this thread, it was a forum member.

Also, when you completed the DevSecOps course you should have received an email advising you, amongst other things, that the 5 CPEs would not be submitted for you, and that you'd need to do submit them yourself.

Please follow the instructions in this post to enter the CPEs:

https://community.isc2.org/t5/Member-Support/How-Where-to-enter-for-CPE-for-completing-an-online-cla...

GEEK
Viewer II

I am gravely disappointed with this increase.  When I saw the email, I had to read it again just to be sure I was seeing the increase to $125 correctly.   I have never had such an increase laid on me by any professional organization.  Or any organization for that matter.  I would be able to justify maybe $5 or $10 in a year.....but 47% is absurd.  The explanation for the increase was minimal, as well.   I have had high respect for ISC2, but this puts a lot in question.

Sharon_CISSP
Viewer II

A former member? Way to stir the pot.
I never received an email regarding submission, and since the Active
Shooter training was automatically posted I would assume the same for the
others.
Either way, someone could have responded to my emails requesting assistance.
Thank you for the link
Sharon_CISSP
Viewer II

I'll pay my dues before June 30 for the 3-year term, after that I'll
probably let the membership go. It's not worth it. Like you said they could
have done this with a $5-$10 increase year-over-year and it wouldn't make
people so mad. It's the principle of cost to value.
KLSHAW
Newcomer I

I've a close friend who directs a non-profit and they definitely offer free memberships with a smidge of limitations to students and discounted to some areas with lower salaries in their target membership and younger professionals. Flat fee may be easier to manage especially considering the CPE site trainwreck but a sliding scale would be nice to see and much more respectful of the significant variety in employment, income, and employer requirement and reimbursement for the certification. And that's just it - certification; even if it's treated like a mandatory license by a significant number of our employers. I would like to see the statistics on how much any of the other content besides "how to register for an exam" and "submit your fees and CPEs here" is actually viewed, let alone utilized.  Now, that is a significant criticism, but I remember when I was first certified in 2004 how the dead tree magazine felt like a waste, and anything 'useful' was weeks or months too late. The 'services' provided didn't really seem valuable, especially to a busy professional with an aggressive work schedule and a young family - but perhaps even with my qualifying experience I was, and still am not, the intended consumer. Even now I, like apparently many others, feel "hand in the meat grinder" by the amount of time I have to take out of my personal life; yearly/triennal fees; and oft un-reimbursed "training" in order to maintain our jobs by having the letters CISSP in our name.

AndreC
Viewer III

I have just received the notice about the increased AMFs and would like to register my deep discontentment with it.

I already believed that $85 per year was too much to maintain my certification, and an increase of ~47% doesn't seem to be justifiable. A smaller adjust could be tolerated, but this value is unprecedented. I wish I ever had a 47% increase in my income.

I proudly hold my CISSP since 2005, when exams were done on pen and paper. And I'm very disappointed as I don't see benefits that justify even any close to this amount.

And based on the number of post here, I'm not alone in my discontentment.  I hope (ISC)2 will, at least, provide us the reasons for such enormous increase.  That is the least we members expect.

And a roll back in this decision would be appreciated.

KLSHAW
Newcomer I

AndreC - were they still fanning the booklets and turning them every which way to check for paper bits in case you tore out a page?

I think one thing the overly excited waxing about ISC(2) benefits doesn't take into consideration is that the core constituency has grown accustomed to not seeing anything from the organization they find beneficial other than the certifications. Most certifications are just that - certifications - and for the average member it ends there.  The mandatory nature of those letters is the primary and often only appeal. This does feel like too little too late; other sources provide the offerings ISC(2) is finally getting around to developing. Take the shopper program. I have this from employers and my bank; advertising glazed over as benefit.

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@cybermentor 

Thanks for the response, and your thoughts.   One of the best skills I ever did, when I started my working career was to enroll in a typing course.  Yes; I was one of the only males in the typing evening class.  It was daunting to be truthful.  I invested my time and this has been one of the best investments, I have personally undertaken.   At 100 Words Per Minute, or greater, I am able to rattle off my thoughts, review and quickly review them.  So in terms of time, like many of my thoughts are created in my mind, and my fingers do the expression, efficiently and effectively.

So, if you are a peck and poke typists, I personally recommend a bit of personal investment, it will certainly pay dividends in the long term.

Regards

Caute_cautim