cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andy1970
Newcomer I

online course assessments vs actual scores

Hi,

There was a pre- and post-assessment exam for ISC2's self-paced online course for the CC exam.

I took the pre- last night (89.something%), "ran" through the online course today and then took the post-assessment tonight (94.something%), but I don't consider it any improvement because I remembered the correct answers to questions I had missed the first time through it).

For those of you who took those assessments and then took the actual exam, how well did your assessment scores map to your actual exam score?

I'm scheduled to take the CC exam on Tuesday and I'm wondering how much time I need to devote to preparation between now and then.

Yes, I realize this is late in the game to prep, but I do have some background both with work and school (deep in some areas, deficient in others).

Thank you

9 Replies
TeflonDon36
Newcomer II

I don't remember getting an actual % score back. I remember getting a printout saying that I passed. 

I studied what (ISC)2 provided and only took their pre-/post-assessments, and I passed. (Disclaimer: I have 5-6 years as a help desk/jr admin) So that may have helped with my knowledge of the exam. 

Best of Luck!!

ericgeater
Community Champion

As TeflonDon mentioned, I only received word that I passed.  No score was delivered on either exam.

So are you identifying the area where you require improvement?  You should definitely focus on your weaknesses, and not on your score.  What were the domains you need improvement in?  Don't rely solely on memory!  The exam will test both your knowledge as well as your retention.

Between now and your exam, keep reviewing your weaknesses!  Best of luck on the exam.

--
"A claim is as good as its veracity."
andy1970
Newcomer I

I'm looking for data points along the lines of "I scored a 95% on the assessment but failed the real exam" (indicating the assessment is way too easy) or "I scored a 65% on the assessment and passed teh real exam" (indicating the assessment is more difficult than the real exam).

I just want some kind of indicator letting me know where I stand in advance of the exam. There's no guidance of what's considered a passing score on the assessments, those scores are without context.

Thank you

GenTech
Newcomer I

hi,

I scored about 80-90% or their pre/post assessment. I have 5 years experience with SOC. The CC materials and questions are not enough for me. Afterall, It is an ISC exam. Do read and practice more questions from other sources, so that you can have a better understanding. I passed CC as im preparing for CISSP(about 2months of studying). That is my experience. 

regards,

Gen

imantatum
Newcomer I

Hello Gen,

What other study materials would you recommend before taking this test? I am going to take the post assessment quiz as well. 

Thank you 

GenTech
Newcomer I

Hi,

sunflower cissp is a good start. or any cissp materials you can get. read what is required for CC domains. https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/CC/Certification-Exam-Outline

do some research. understand the why and how. if there is a methodology then what are the steps.

rgs,
Gen
andy1970
Newcomer I

Just a follow-up for anybody who comes across this thread in the future.

I passed the CC exam on Dec 20.

My test was scheduled to begin at 8AM but they processed me a few minutes early -- not sure exactly what time I started but guessing about 7:50AM.  By 8:49AM I was back in my car sending a text to my wife that I'd passed.  So it took me about 45 minutes to do the 100 questions.

With my background (cybersec masters and many years in IT, some but not all of it cybersec related), I thought the ISC2 online self-paced training was all that I needed to prepare for the exam and the assessment tests for that training reasonably reflected the real exam.

There were a couple of questions on the actual exam that had me thinking, "huh, what planet is this from?"  But mostly the questions were what I expected.

I don't know what my score was (really wish they'd give that to the candidates) but I'm guessing it was about the same as on my assessment tests (85% to 97% range).

I've now scheduled the CISSP exam for March 3 so the real preparation begins...

Good luck to all of you preparing for the CC exam!

cassiofabius
Newcomer I

Hi, Andy!

I took the pre-assessment exam on Oct 21, 2022 and my score was 80% (60/75).

So I didn't even start the course. 😅

I just reviewed the questions I guessed wrong or I didn't know and took the real exam on 17 Nov. I passed!

I have bachelor's degree in a Network Engineering and 5 years of experience as Support Engineer/Network Engineer.

I have also passed CCNA, AZ-900/SC-900, NSE1/2/3 and other fundamental exams in the last 2 years.

Carelessloser
Viewer

The questions were from the assessment right and how many were from outside?