Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MichaelTj
Newcomer I

Volunteering to help create exam questions (request for more info)

Suppose that I am considering volunteering to help create exam questions.

Is this something that one can do "virtually?"

-or-

Does one have to travel to collaborate with others?  (Seems a good idea to have face-to-face sessions, but that creates more constraints...).

If one does have to travel, is it at ones own expense?   Where are such sessions held? 

What qualifications must one possess to help?

7 Replies
ToniHahn
Contributor I

Hi MichaelTJ,

I am Toni and I work for (ISC)2 as well as being a member.  I was forwarded this to reply to you as I am one of the hosts of the workshops!  Please find the answers below:

Is this something that one can do "virtually?"  No, at this time, all workshops are done face to face due to the security and confidentiality of the exam material.
-or-
Does one have to travel to collaborate with others? (Seems a good idea to have face-to-face sessions, but that creates more constraints...).  Yes right now all volunteers travel to the workshop location.

If one does have to travel, is it at ones own expense?  (ISC)2 pays all travel, hotel, food and expenses for a Subject Matter Expert (SME) (aka a volunteer)

Where are such sessions held? Currently the bulk of the workshops are scheduled around the Tampa, Florida area. However, they can be held worldwide.

What qualifications must one possess to help?  You must hold the certification to be considered. You may not be a volunteer for our Education Department (i.e. teaching, writer etc) and must not be a proctor of exams. When you volunteer, you get placed in the pool of volunteers and when we have a workshop, there is a random pull and the invites go out. If you receive an invite, you must sign a NDA as well as a conflict of interest statement. If those are good to go, then you will be included in that workshop.

MichaelTj
Newcomer I

Thank you @ToniHahn for the reply!  This is very helpful - so much so that I will apply!

Scinerely, Mike

Adeel
Newcomer I

Hi Tony,
Any idea when ISC2 will start sending invites? I have also submitted my interest in volunteering.
ToniHahn
Contributor I

Hi Adeel,
It is all random. Invites are usually sent out 2 months before the workshop. It is a random pull from the volunteers. Depending on what certification you have determines your odds. For example, if you have the CISSP, there are a lot of volunteers in the pool...but we have a lot more workshops. Next year we are having 10 item writing workshops for CISSP. Another example...if you have one of the CISSP concentrations or newer certifications, you would have better odds at getting selected because there aren't as many people in the pool; however we don't have as many workshops for the other certifications. About 1-2 a year. The CISSP has a lot more because we just went to CAT and we need to continually increase our items in the database.
I hope this answers your question.
You will eventually get an email 😀
Thanks
Toni
MichaelTj
Newcomer I

To all, I just participated in a CISSP exam item writing workshop last week (2018_Feb_5th-7th) and met Toni directly. I had a BLAST! Mind you: Writing and reviewing exam questions is not an easy task. One has to come up with easily-understood questions, a correct answer for each question, and incorrect/"distractor" answers that are nearly correct, but definitely wrong. Fortunately, ISC2 and PearsonVUE do a fantastic job of providing tools that help one do just that and include references to back-up one's work. One works individually (but in the company of others) when creating questions, but in groups of peers to review questions. The camaraderie and networking is FANTASTIC - a major benefit of volunteering. It is quite wonderful to brainstorm with very intelligent, eager, and experienced peers in such efforts. And ISC2 makes the event as fun as such could be! HIGHLY recommended! Most sincerely, Mike

ToniHahn
Contributor I

Hi Mike,

Great to meet you and glad you enjoyed the workshop! Hope to see you at another one!  

Toni

hougher
Newcomer I

I just returned from a volunteer exam item writing workshop and I can echo Mike's experience. It was great! Toni was our workshop director as well and it was very well run. I wasn't expecting it to be so fulfilling. It is challenging work, but at the same time you are able to have great conversations with like minded folks and feel like you are making a significant contribution. I would highly recommend it and hope to be invited back as well. For what it is worth: I work from home and made it a condition of employment that I will not travel, even to headquarters for meetings. I would travel back to an exam workshop without a second thought. It is that rewarding.

Erika