Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Firoj
Viewer

Simple and easy to use SSL certificate management tool?

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a simple and easy to use SSL certificate management tool. I am happy to pay for one. Any suggestions?

Main Requirements

· Monitoring the certificate expire date on multiple systems (Linux, Wintel)

· All of the certificates are available via URL (not always accessable via the internet so this needs to be a solution we can install inside our network)

· Should support Websphere certificates

· Should support WebLogic certifcates

· Centralized Tool to deploy certificates

· Dashboard for Certificate status

· Total Number of Certificates Install < 50

· Some certificates come from the customer, some are self signed

· Nice to have – ability to generate certificate – not required

3 Replies
shivaanand
Viewer

I am sure there is already a tool available that exists for this, no need to develop a new one.

But at first, you may need to identify those assets/applications that use certs and categorize them.

zeno62
Viewer

All of your machines that are members of your domain would benefit from internal ca. You won't have to worry about self-signing, and if you have Windows, it will automatically renew; if you don't have Windows, you may monitor the console or have it notify you when it's time to renew. You can also choose your own expiration timeframe... ten, twenty, and ninety years (not recommended but you get the idea).

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

As others have stated, I think you need to sit down and write out your functional requirements and Non-Functional Requirements, and then do some research - there are many many vendors, providing tools, managed services.

Look at reviews for popular tools, ask for opinions on ease of use

Other than the fact SSL is now an old term, and should not be confused with TLS:

SSL 1.0  - never publicly released due to security issues

SSL 2.0 - released in 1995.  Deprecated in 2011

SSL 3.0 - released in 1096 and subsequently compromised via the Poodle attack.

TLS 1.0 - released in 1999 as an upgrade to SSL 3.0

TLS 2.0 - released in 2008

TLS 3.0 - released in 2018

https://www.ssl2buy.com/wiki/ssl-vs-tls  

SSL is Obsolete.

As you know SSL has been well and truly compromised, but many hold onto the old SSL term.  

Will you be using RSA or ECC digital certificates? 

How long do you need to retain the certificates during the Key Management lifecycle?

Regards

Caute_Cautim