Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AppDefects
Community Champion

Microchipped!

You’ve got two choices: 1) let us slide a syringe between your thumb and index finger so we can inject a rice-sized microchip into your hand that can be used to unlock your admin privileges, open doors, and clock in, or 2) find another job. Recently, I had no choice since I did not work in Indiana where this practice is unlawful according to House Bill 1143.You’ve got two choices: 1) let us slide a syringe between your thumb and index finger so we can inject a rice-sized microchip into your hand that can be used to unlock your admin privileges, open doors, and clock in, or 2) find another job. Recently, I had no choice since I did not work in Indiana where this practice is unlawful according to House Bill 1143.

17 Replies
dcontesti
Community Champion

@JKWiniger wrote:

Hold on a second as I put on my faraday gloves before I type this so I'm in private mode!

Thanks, I needed that chuckle.

Health information from a chip, real pie in the sky dreaming! Apple is putting tons into the health aspect of the Apple watch and even they are having trouble.

From the article:

Patrick McMullan, president of Three Square Market and the chip technology business Three Square Chip, told CNBC the goal is a “worthy cause.”

“It’s not only GPS. It’s not only voice activation. It’s working on monitoring your vital signs,” McMullan said. “And there are different medical institutions that obviously want that.”

“It’s going to tell my … doctor’s office I have an issue,” he added.

Article was in the Washington Post in 2018: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2018/08/23/this-firm-already-microchips-employees-could-yo...

Actually wonder where they are in the development......

d

JKWiniger
Community Champion

OK, fine, it's Friday...

Things are going slow and their biggest problems are they dissolve in about 5 - 10 minutes and they can only tell that there is a decrees in germs in one part of the body... They are so confident they have actually started selling...  I highly recommend the latest prototype!

https://amzn.to/2RKIVMu 

Happy Friday Everyone!!

John-

CraginS
Defender I

@dcontesti wrote:

It has been said that the current chips do not have GPS in them, however Three Square Market is now in the chip business "Three Square Chip" and are envisioning the devices being able to tell your doctor you have an issue.

The chips have no need for GPS, since the chip readers will be registered with location, and it is the reader that will send data to the central database. All the chip needs is a unique ID (UID) registered and verified (probably with an associated PKI certificate). That is enough for the reader to send a data record of the read=event with verified UID, date, time, reader location, and possible reader purpose. The receiving database will incorporate that information with other data, such as credit account associated with the UID, or alternate identity information, for further processing. 

The military may want a subset medial record on the chip for remote, unconnected locations, but in the main usage in peacetime locations in any modern environment, the verified UID with connection to the relevant database is sufficient. The PKI certificate will have the address for the database to be notified. 

Obviously, the "benefit" (cough, cough) of having a chip embedded in the body as opposed to a portable physical token (card, fob, ring, bracelet, etc.) is the difference in what it takes to steal the chip token from the assigned holder.

This world is gonna get messier and messier.Consider implications of GDPR, CCPA, and more state, province, and national privacy legislation still to come.

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

An interesting discussion:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theranos

I understand that no one voluntarily wants to use a chip due to GDPR and invasive perspectives - however the pros and cons are still being debated despite some American states banning this type of technology:

https://www.ameinfo.com/industry/healthcare/human-microchip-implant-risks-ethics-bioteq-biohax

The article above appears to give a balanced perspective on the wider issues.

https://www.gemalto.com/govt/inspired/biometrics

There are wider implications with other technology, from,which we already benefit from "Nanotechnology" within smart food for instance, and this is likely to move on to the drive for better health diagnosis or finding the illusive blood clot, by not using conventional surgical methods.  What happens if a Baby at birth is implanted with such technology for health purposes, but in fact could be used for tracking and analysis purposes.   Would this fall under GDPR and other privacy initiatives or even SB-327 "Connected Devices" legislation?  This smacks of some of the issues we face with IoT technology now, along with high speed connectivity technology i.e. 5G , indoor wireless antenna operating at low power at 30 GHz i.e. at Radar frequencies. 

We are not entirely clear, what those implications actually are, other than the fact regardless of whether it is a car, smart building or a human being the potential for being tracked, having something implanted with our bodies through modern technological advances in medicine or food - we mostly probably won't actually be aware, until some time later when it is already circulating within our systems.

Or over time, and generations we merely accept these issues as the new "norm" in terms of day to day living.

Would you be happy with invasive techniques, without your knowledge being distributed via medical, or voluntary means or even enforced by an organisation as a means maintaining security in high security environments? Or even surreptitiously being introduced via the actual food we eat?

It opens up a whole new can of worms to think about and discuss - however, I think this will be an evolution, possibly outweighed by the drive for longer lives, better health, earlier detection rates - and it could simply become the normal means of entering buildings or being authenticated as being at ones workplace.

Yes, we are discussing the issue here, but what will happen in 20 or 30 years, if the subject is not raised now or will it be cast into history as just one of those passing phases mankind went through before becoming semi-automatons? 

Regards

Caute_cautim

ericgeater
Community Champion

I think about the lifecycle of this tech. Currently, this is a passive application, so I feel like there are fewer risks today. Even if the tech is inert to the human body, the tech will age. What does that mean for upgrades? Maintenance? When does it end? And what would the wearer risk as a result of keeping an implant that's akin to an IC tattoo?
--
"A claim is as good as its veracity."
JKWiniger
Community Champion

I really think like most things it comes down to a matter of ethics! If people and companies really wanted to do good things would be great, but sadly they just try to misuse things to their own benefit. Take something as simple as your phone detecting and showing nearby wifi connections. This was a good thing, but then advertisers found a way to use this to track and target people to send them ads they don't want. Why, not to help people, but for their own self interests. Sad but true...

John-

rslade
Influencer II

We are microchips (the thin end of the wedge) of Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated ...

canadian-borg-381074

Other posts: https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@rslade  Not unless one realises the danger and like the Federation did, outwit the Borg with their own technology.   Or one can purely sit there and act like Sheep and invite the inevitable?  It's our choice at the end of the day.

Regards

Caute_cautim