Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AppDefects
Community Champion

Microchipped!

You’ve got two choices: 1) let us slide a syringe between your thumb and index finger so we can inject a rice-sized microchip into your hand that can be used to unlock your admin privileges, open doors, and clock in, or 2) find another job. Recently, I had no choice since I did not work in Indiana where this practice is unlawful according to House Bill 1143.You’ve got two choices: 1) let us slide a syringe between your thumb and index finger so we can inject a rice-sized microchip into your hand that can be used to unlock your admin privileges, open doors, and clock in, or 2) find another job. Recently, I had no choice since I did not work in Indiana where this practice is unlawful according to House Bill 1143.

17 Replies
Beads
Advocate I

Not just no on so many levels I loose count but HELL NO!

Invasion of privacy

Tracking

Multilation

Unseemly

Change positions and run out of "space" for micro-junk.

0n3BadID3A

Tell them I said so too!

- B/eads

Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

Aren't these just RFID?  

It's certainly a twist on the something you have factor.

I wonder if removing it is part of the leavers process!

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
Beads
Advocate I

No employer has or should have the right to violate my person by way of mutilation, ingress or egress.

Why not tattoo administrators or other IT folks with an interactive bar scan while your at it. Just because something is possible doesn't make it a good idea.

- b/eads

JKWiniger
Community Champion

Any time I see or hear about something like this I just laugh! People get this type of thing implanted and call themselves "biohacker", well what happens when someone reading it and spoofs it? Will part of the incident response plan include the doctor to see to remove and replace it every time there is a breach?

John-

Jreg
Newcomer II

I think I would just find a new job at that point. We have plenty of means to authenticate using biometrics that does not involve the injecting of manmade objects into our bodies.

Jared Register CISSP, GDSA
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jaredregister/
ericgeater
Community Champion

Is this for real?
-----------
A claim is as good as its veracity.
denbesten
Community Champion

From a security perspective, all that a microchip gains is to increase the difficulty of stealing/losing/upgrading a badge.

There are early indications that microchips may not be completely safe in pets.  Coupled with the fact that companies have been burdened with long-term liability for exposing (former) employees to health-risks, I would not have reached the same risk-analysis conclusion as your employer. I tend to lean much closer to the belief that only medically-necessary things (e.g. pacemakers, fillings, stents) be permanently introduced into the body.

dcontesti
Community Champion

Three Square Market made "history" by  embedding chips into employees in 2017 as a trial and has since increase the number of folks that are chipped.

The company states that their employees can now simply wave their hand over their computer or a vending machine and viola everything is great.  

It has been said that the current chips do not have GPS in them, however Three Square Market is now in the chip business "Three Square Chip" and are envisioning the devices being able to tell your doctor you have an issue.

I cannot even fathom what the Privacy industry (GDPR, CCPA, etc.) will do with something like this.

Personally, I would NOT take a job that forced me to be chipped or for that matter even suggested it....I would be waving bye as I drove away.  

d

JKWiniger
Community Champion

Hold on a second as I put on my faraday gloves before I type this so I'm in private mode!

Health information from a chip, real pie in the sky dreaming! Apple is putting tons into the health aspect of the Apple watch and even they are having trouble. There is that failing company that tried to put all your access control into a ring and found it was not as ease as I am guessing they thought. I guess what really amazes me are the outlandish claims made by companies to try to boost their imagine and get funding and no one steps back and goes.. umm NO! Does anyone remember Theranos?

John-