Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
charlpl
Newcomer II

Infosec management

Excellent ideas on InfoSec management and reporting!

8 Replies
dcontesti
Community Champion

Charl

This definitely looks like advertising and I do not believe appropriate for the Community.  Imagine if every vendor logged in here and advertised their products.  The Community would quickly become a vendor ad agency.  

I believe that the Community was set up to help each other, for some of senior folk to share experience, etc. and to share current issues and topics.

Other please chime in?  @rslade  @Caute_cautim @Shannon @denbesten others.

@SamanthaO_isc2 Would you please delete this message (there are two of them similar topics).

Regards

Diana

CraginS
Defender I

@dcontesti wrote:

Charl

This definitely looks like advertising and I do not believe appropriate for the Community.  Imagine if every vendor logged in here and advertised their products.  The Community would quickly become a vendor ad agency.  

I believe that the Community was set up to help each other, for some of senior folk to share experience, etc. and to share current issues and topics.

Other please chime in?  @rslade  @Caute_cautim @Shannon @denbesten others.

@SamanthaO_isc2 Would you please delete this message (there are two of them similar topics).

Regards

Diana

Diana,

I partially agree with you, in that this is simple advertising and does not belong in any of the existing forum areas. However, think we would be well-served by asking @SamanthaO_isc2 to set up another forum area on Vendor Offerings, where we can see promotions of commercial offerings and have Q&A, informal reviews, etc. on those products. If a vendor rep community member posts a new thread product promotion, I would expect the posting to include a basic description of what the product is for and who would benefit from using it. The thread could then continue with questions, comments, evaluations, etc.

Our infosec/IA/cybersec field is so broad and complex, and filled with many high value and some low value commercial products that many of us want or need to use to solve problems for our employers or clients. This is why I have for years valued vendor symposia and demos, and have (appropriately) claimed attendance at them as CPE for my CISSP currency. I believe we could have the same value here in the forum. Just set such threads in their own area, so we don't wander through nominal advertisements as we travers the existing threads where we "help each other, for some of senior folk to share experience, etc. and to share current issues and topics."

@charlpl Charl,

please feel free to join back into this discussion, and do not feel you need to be defensive about your initial post. We all need to promote our expertise and our contributions. I think you have done us a service by opening up a new possible area on teh forum.

Best to all,

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
rslade
Influencer II

@CraginS wrote:

However, think we would be well-served by asking @SamanthaO_isc2 to set up another forum area on Vendor Offerings, where we can see promotions of commercial offerings and have Q&A, informal reviews, etc. on those products.

Second the motion.  This is a great idea.

(I will not, of course, be subscribing to "Vendor Offerings" when it is set up, but it's a great idea.)

Other posts: https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
charlpl
Newcomer II

Hi Everyone

Apologies for the post. Agree that this is partially marketing related but I was also trying to bring certain aspects of InfoSec management and reporting to light, which could help some of us to simplify our approach to management and operational reporting.

Looking forward to spending many more hours on this forum.

Once again, apologies. Future post will be more carefully considered.

Regards,

Charl

dcontesti
Community Champion

So I raised the issue as this is the fourth such ad in two weeks for this company.  Had it been an initial post, I would not have said anything.

If they set up a channel for this, I like Rob will not subscribe to it.

MHOO

Diana

rslade
Influencer II

@charlpl wrote:

Apologies for the post. Agree that this is partially marketing related

"Partially"?  "Partially marketing related"?

Charl, you really need to reconsider what you consider "marketing related."

@charlpl wrote:

Hi Everyone

I was also trying to bring certain aspects of InfoSec management and reporting to light

In the past two weeks you have posted a thinly veiled (extremely thinly veiled) ad for a product.  It didn't "bring certain aspects of InfoSec management and reporting to light," it just listed a bunch of functions.  Then you posted an almost identical ad yet again.  Then you posted a piece of news, with a link to an online ad (that really had nothing to do with the news story).  Then you just posted a link to the online ad (with a slightly different URL).  Then you made basically the same posting to the online ad in a different board on the "community"!

Looking forward to spending many more hours on this forum.

Once again, apologies. Future post will be more carefully considered.

Oh, Charl.  You'd better consider very carefully.  Look closely at the traffic and responses you have prompted, and note who you have offended.

Other posts: https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
Shannon
Community Champion

I agree with @dcontesti here. Whatever the motives of these posts were, this certainly looks like advertising, and is very much against the Community Guidelines.

(I trust the moderators will be doing something about this --- & not using it to gauge eligibility for badges)

Shannon D'Cruz,
CISM, CISSP

www.linkedin.com/in/shannondcruz
SamanthaO_isc2
ISC2 Former Staff

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for bringing up a good discussion around this topic - solicitation within the Community and how it violates the Community guidelines. Seeing as there have been some very good comments around this topic generated here, this post will remain in the Community so that the discussion can continue, if needed. 

If you have any further questions about this, please feel free to reach out to me directly at community@isc2.org. 

Best, 

Samantha O'Connor
(ISC)² Online Community Manager