Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AppDefects
Community Champion

Coronavirus makes DLP work overtime!

Coronavirus is giving everyone the right to work from home (WFH) and stay safe. That is all good, but did you know that the unexpected side effect for corporate IT is: not enough VPN bandwidth, help desk escalations with expired/not working tokens, and my personal favorite CIRT DLP alerts! Can you say "data exfiltration"? Everyone wants to work on their home computers and they creating data "spills" by sending data to their personal email to do it. That my friends is making DLP work overtime! Check your alerts and tighten those rules!

2 Replies
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@AppDefects   Not only that check your Broadband limits as well - has your Telecommunications provider released the limits or does unlimited mean unlimited or congested especially on WiFi rather than Fibre?

Given that WiFI is a shared medium.

DLP, E-mail filtering, and Web filtering policies as well, plus New Generation AV.

Also with the use of remote working, whether your organisation conference medium is able to function correctly too i.e. bandwidth and performance issues.

Regards

Caute_cautim

denbesten
Community Champion

I can deal with the company-side limits and in fact we have been making changes to handle an expected increase.  For example, activating the remote-access server in both production and DR sites so we can use both Internet connections. 

Also, split tunneling can be your friend (although it does come with risk).  By taking web browsing off the corporate ISP, it frees up lots of capacity.  Even just splitting off streaming video/audio and office365 will help alot.

The less solvable problem in my mind is the home-side.  There, we are competing with lots of kids watching Netflix and neighbors also working from home.  Although your last mile might be dedicated fiber, it still hits the same CO (central office) and from their depends upon their uplinks, which also are being stretched harder than ever.  And mobile tethering won't help either because all roads leading out of town will have serious congestion.