Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Phillip89266
Newcomer I

BVoIP and Security Best Practice

Hi – does anyone have experience in implementing BVoIP? We are replacing our legacy PRIs to BVoIP for some of our remote locations and I am told by the carrier they will provision an internet circuit to support BVoIP at each site.  That being the case, what security measure do I need to take since BVoIP uses an Internet circuit?  What is the best practice to implement BVoIP? Do I need to implement FWs?  Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Phillip

6 Replies
JKWiniger
Community Champion

I haven't done a ton with it but there are a few things I can share. One of the first things to look at the the quality of the internet connections at each location. I had to have smoke pings done over time to check for real latency and jitter. I think just checking it with the speed test at dslreports might be enough. I mention this because I have a few vendors that just really tried to push the circuits for their benefit and not mine. If you have a poor quality connection in that area then it might be justified but otherwise, probably not. On the actual service I went with a hosted VIOP truck, wish I could think of the provider off hand. We had Cisco phone and they could just be plugged in at any location, connected to the provider with a secure connection and we where on. It worked very well and this was from a recruitment agency so phone were critical.

John-

Phillip89266
Newcomer I

Thanks John.
CraginS
Defender I

@Phillip89266 wrote:

Hi – does anyone have experience in implementing BVoIP? We are replacing our legacy PRIs to BVoIP ...

Since I had to look these up, here they are for others who are not current on the terms:

BVoIP - Barricade Voice over Internet Protocol

BVoIP - Business Voice over Internet Protocol

BVoIP - Bluetooth Voice over Internet Protocol

PRI - Primary Rate Interface (a telecommunications protocol)

PRIs - more than one of them

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
JKWiniger
Community Champion

@CraginS are you sure you have that BVoIP right?

The link seems to bring me to a provider under than name "BVoIP" but nowhere there or anywhere have I heard of or can find Bluetooth VoIP. They seem like two different but complementary technologies.

John-

CraginS
Defender I

@JKWiniger wrote:

@CraginS are you sure you have that BVoIP right?

The link seems to bring me to a provider under than name "BVoIP" but nowhere there or anywhere have I heard of or can find Bluetooth VoIP. They seem like two different but complementary technologies.

John-

Thank you, John.. Yes, it was not quite right. I've edited the post to help add to teh confusions even further.

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
Phillip89266
Newcomer I

Thank you everyone for our input. I finally had a call with the carrier and got what I needed. According to the carrier, there's no special security provision from the enterprise perspective. No Firewalls needed despite it's using the internet medium provided the BVoIP is provisioned strictly for voice. Alternatively, you can order the SIP circuit to have Internet on/off. If it's provision with Internet turned on then standard security practice is to be enforced.