Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TrickyDicky
Contributor II

(ISC)2 Board of Directors election

So according to the timeline at https://www.isc2.org/About/Board-of-Directors/Board-Elections the current Board's list of preferred candidates in this years election (the 2019 Slate) should have been announced on 14th June. I don't see anything on the news or the blog pages on the website, and I haven't received any email notification yet. 

Does anyone have insight into when the Slate will be announced?

It would seem that the election won't be held on time either (12th Sept) as the bylaws state that there must be 90 days between the announcement of the Slate and the election

129 Replies
TrickyDicky
Contributor II

@jjx JJ, if you're going to make an allegation of that nature in a public forum, I'm hoping that you'll back it up with an Ethics complaint and hard evidence

EDIT: @jjx wrote:  Did you take that information you had access to on the council and start using it to help or communicate with members?

gthompson
Newcomer II

Alec - you have the board's attention and your feedback regarding systems issues will be discussed with management at our upcoming board meeting in July. As Board members we represent our membership. No radio silence on this. 

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

@gthompson - Thank you, Greg - I already brought the issues to the attention of David Shearer in the thread I have linked below, and while there has been progress with my own specific issues, the wider issues affecting all members still persist:

https://community.isc2.org/t5/Career/We-know-you-have-choices-when-it-comes-to-professional/m-p/2290...

gthompson
Newcomer II

Fair enough, but there seem to be some thematic system issues that I think need management's attention. It's on my agenda.

GT

jjx
Newcomer II

Hi @AppDefects 

You've brought up a lot of great points throughout this whole long, random, thread. I appreciate the comments and understand where you're coming from. I posted the articles on LinkedIn (as I said in the post) because someone (a good friend of mine) made a comment on Twitter, which snowballed in to a cacophony of other comments, issues, questions. I was asked to reply (to several points) but of course Twitter is challenging with long text. While doing that in haste, I went ahead and addressed as many of the points brought up by friends as I could.

As for being responsive to member requests, I am frequently asked to respond to member comments/questions, and (as far as I know) I have responded *every* time someone has asked. I don't monitor any social media or sites looking for things to comment on but I will never ignore a member question.

Often, the question is simply something that needs to go to Member Services. As board members, we are precluded from participating in certain activities, or 'advocating' on behalf of individual members but I walk that line regularly in hopes that the karma of good intentions and helping members will smile upon me. What's most appropriate is that I tell the person we'll simply ensure they get a response from Member Services.

As for Twitter though, I was responding to friends and people I know personally, not random people. 🙂

So on to the rest...
Yes, we're trying to fix things. I'm OK admitting when something is flawed and if you're looking for openness and transparency, here it is. "Pet project", absolutely! When I was asked to join the board, it was to help roll up sleeves and do work, not serve as a figurehead. A lot of board members have their own agendas but I think if you ask around you'll hear that MY AGENDA was always and only improving (ISC)2 and that started with maturing the board and board processes.

If board members don't have experience hiring/firing/managing, they're not necessarily equipped with the skills to vet nominees. And regardless, there is a lot of inconsistency - you have a rolling board, new committee members every year, etc.

I'm just being realistic. If you know you have a short-coming, I think it's best to just admit, acknowledge, and fill that gap.

---->    If my baby's ugly, you'll hear it from me first.    <-----

Jennifer Minella, CISSP,

(ISC)2 Board of Directors 2014-2019

2019 Chairperson

VP of Engineering
Carolina Advanced Digital, Inc.
www.cadinc.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jenniferminella
jjx
Newcomer II

@denbestenThese are great ideas!!

Jennifer Minella, CISSP,

2019 Chairperson

VP of Engineering
www.cadinc.com
jjx
Newcomer II

@TrickyDicky  I think you lost me. My point wasn't "did you share confidential info". Quite the opposite! I'm asking if Diana found a way to use the (publicly available) information she had access to, and her direct line to (ISC)2 Management while serving (as NAR Advisory Council) for the benefit of members? That's all. She's talking about communication so I thought there might be examples of times she's done that these last few years on the Council.

The Advisory Councils and Chapters are *supposed* to be mechanisms for the organization to connect with members. That's actually not the Board's job (although we try to fill any perceived gaps).

Jennifer Minella, CISSP,

2019 Chairperson

VP of Engineering
www.cadinc.com
jjx
Newcomer II

Okay everyone,

Just so my absence from this thread isn't taken the wrong way, I'm letting you know I'm going to drop off this thread.

As always, I'm happy to answer any questions and encourage everyone interested to stay engaged, keep asking questions, and keep pushing for the things you believe in.

In the end, we're all on the same team, and we have a common goal- we just may have different paths to get there!

-jj

Jennifer Minella, CISSP,

2019 Chairperson

VP of Engineering
www.cadinc.com
denbesten
Community Champion

@AppDefects wrote:

... why is this topic being suppressed from showing on the forum boards for "Hot Topics" and "Latest Topics" ?

I don't think "suppressed" is the right word.  Suppressed implies deliberate action on somebody's part to remove something that would otherwise be visible.   Since the forum's main page is automatically generated, the more likely cause is that other topics better met the qualifications for 3 of the 4 places that this topic could conceivably appear:

• "Latest topics" shows the 5 topics that were most recently started, as measured by the date of the initial posting.  Clicking ">>" a few times reveals that 53 topics have been started subsequent to this one (as I write this), which is why it is not in the top 5.
  • "Top Kudoed", shows the 5 topics with the most Kudos that were given to the initial posting.  Since the initial post has zero kudos, this discussion appears at about the 100th position on that list and is visible if you click "load more" enough.  It does appear that "Latest Topics" is used as a secondary sort on this list and that discussion topics age off the list after 30 days or so.
  • "Solved" shows the 5 topics that have most recently been marked as "solved".  Since this capability has only been enabled in the "Tech Talk" group, this discussion topic is ineligible for that list due to it being in the "Member Support" group.
  • "Recent Activity" is the list on which this topic has generally been in the top 5.  In the few times it has been bumped out, it has been within one or two "load more" clicks.
TrickyDicky
Contributor II

@jjx wrote:  My point wasn't "did you share confidential info". Quite the opposite!

> Did you take that information you had access to on the council and start using it to help or communicate with members?

Glad for the clarification. The way I read it seemed to be an accusation that she had unethically used company resources for her personal goals

In the end, we're all on the same team, and we have a common goal- we just may have different paths to get there!

Thanks for your contribution to the debate