Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tokyojoe
Newcomer I

CISSP: Group B credits

How can I know whether or not my Group B CPEs will be acceptable or not? Should I cover myself by earning an additional 30 Group A CPEs?

13 Replies
amandavanceISC2

@tokyojoe Thank you for your inquiry. The annual CPE requirements are 40 CPEs total, with at least 30 of those being Group A (domain related). If all 40 CPEs are Group A, that is ok, as Group B (professional development) CPEs are not required. Group B CPEs are general activities that are not domain related. For example, if you took a PMP course or a communications course, these would be submitted as Group B since they are professional development and not CISSP domain related. 

I hope this helps answer your questions. 

Best Regards,

Amanda Vance

phollan1
Newcomer I

The CPE requirements are documented here

https://downloads.isc2.org/certifications/cpe-guidelines.pdf

tokyojoe
Newcomer I

Thank you for your reply. I should have been more specific. I have entered my many hours of studying a foreign language for my Group B credits and am now worried whether or not they will count. I read that the group B CPEs are meant to represent the commitment to life long learning which learning a 3rd language certainly does but the guidelines seem to suggest that the study needs to be professionally related and as such perhaps foreign language study doesn't count as such.

phollan1
Newcomer I

I would think that this is a no, unless you could somehow count if as Interpersonal communication skills, if this was vital to your job role it might be possible to argue that, otherwise although valuable learning then it would not count

amandavanceISC2

@tokyojoe I apologize for the misunderstanding. Yes, you may submit CPEs under the Group B category for learning a new language as knowing multiple languages can help an individual in their career. 

Best, 

Amanda Vance

tokyojoe
Newcomer I

Many thanks!

j_M007
Community Champion

I suspect, however, that learning a third language would count if it is related to your professional activities. It would be a question of showing that your language skills are part and parcel of your information security profession.

Again, however, I defer to the fine folks at (ISC)2 who are in the position to deem what is worthy of group B. If your third language were Python or ASN.1 you would likely have more traction.

Best!

j_M007
Community Champion

Cool! 😉

Thanks for the update. In fact, as I mentioned in another post, many of colleagues speak languages other than English, so perhaps the time I spend with them going over the 8 domains could win ME some points (and they also if/when the pass the exam!) Both directly relate to their professional aspirations as CISSPs.

tokyojoe
Newcomer I

j_M007

Looks like you didn't read all the responses first 🙂

Anyway mentoring credential seeking professionals is specifically listed as a way to earn CPEs.