cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
river
Reader I

Associate of ISC(2) toward CSSLP

Hi,

I have been working in Secure Software Development Life Cycle for over three years and I recently passed the CSSLP exam. When I scheduled the Pearson VUE exam, I answered "Yes" to the question: "Are you applying to take the Associate of (ISC)2?"

I received a welcome email from ISC2 informing me that I am an Associate of ISC2 working toward CSSLP, but I have read in http://blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/2017/11/isc%C2%B2-endorsement-demystified.html that I have to start the endorsement process to be an Associate of ISC2 or to be fully certified.

If I access to the Endorsement Home page, it shows me the following message:
Screenshot.PNG

If I start a new Endorsement application I have the option to be an Associate:

MembershipType.PNG

My question is the following:

Do I have to do the Endorsement process to be an Associate of ISC2 or am I already an Associate of ISC2? My Member status shows that I am an Associate of ISC2 working toward CSSLP (and I have already paid for the AMF) but I still have not started the Endorsement process.

Many thanks and best regards.

3 Replies
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

I would say that you don't need to be fully endorsed as that is really a vetting of your stated experience by a member in good standing. However, someone probably needs to check you out and say yes to let you in the club so to speak.

You should do it sooner rather than later as I think the exam pass expires.

Before you do though... You actually have over three years of experience, so if you have a degree as well, then you actually meet the experience requirements for CSSLP. So you're either nearly there OR you're going to submit and target to certify say in 3-9 months?

To qualify for the CSSLP, you must have:

• A minimum of four years of cumulative, paid, full-time Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) professional experience
  • In one or more of the eight domains of the CSSLP Common Body of Knowledge (CBK)

Earning a four-year college degree or regional equivalent will satisfy one year of the required experience. Education credit will only satisfy one year of experience.

https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/Associate

'To earn our Associate of (ISC)² designation, you need to:

• Pass a tough (ISC)² certification exam, proving your cybersecurity knowledge.
  • Pay the dues to become a member of (ISC)².
  • Meet continuing professional education (CPE) requirements.
  • Get the work experience needed to become a CISSP or one of our other cybersecurity certifications.'

Personally/Bottom line...ISC2 already would like some money for the exam, some money for the dues and some CPEs, because someone needs to watch those vendor webinars*, right? 😉 So it would be a little pointless to have someone validate your experience till you are ready to certify, but it would make sense to validate you as an individual. 

*Okay, I don't think this is necessarily true... but it is quite funny.

amandavanceISC2

@river Congratulations on passing the CSSLP! To hold the CSSLP, an individual must have at least 4 years of full-time, paid work experience in at least 1 or more of the 8 domains. You may waive 1 year from the requirements if you hold a bachelors degree or higher. 

If you don't think you have enough experience, you will have 5 years as an Associate of (ISC)² (as long as you maintain the status with AMFs and CPEs) to obtain the required work experience. Once you reach the experience requirement, you would complete the endorsement application. 

If you believe you have the required experience already, you would complete the endorsement application. On the snapshot you provided, you would click the Member button to complete the endorsement application. If the endorsement team does not think you have the required experience, they will communicate this to you and you can remain an Associate of (ISC)² until you reach the requirement. 

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to DM me.

Best Regards,

Amanda Vance

river
Reader I

Thanks for your replies @amandavanceISC2 @Early_Adopter !!