Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MHawkins
Viewer III

Associate of (ISC)2 Toward CISSP

I have roughly 3 years of experience and a Bachelor's Degree in Cybersecurity as well as Security+ and CEH certifications. I understand I can apply for a waiver for 1 year of experience for my degree or one of my certs.

If my math is correct, I lack 1 year of experience to start the endorsement process. I do have a CISSP who will endorse me when the time comes.

My question, and it may seem trivial, but is it appropriate to claim this achievement in my signature block now or do I wait until after I have the full CISSP certification? If I do claim it now, how exactly do I word it: Associate of (ISC)2 working toward CISSP or Associate of (ISC)2? And, in what order would it appear along with my Sec+ and CEH?  

Thanks in advance!

5 Replies
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

I would say it would not be appropriate to reference CISSP until you were certified.

Once you passed the exam you would still not be able to claim anything about CISSP until you were certified, so if you were an Associate of ISC2 you wouldn't be able to specific which exam you had passed.

Once you are certified though some thoughts from the community and placement of letters in signature blocks:

https://community.isc2.org/t5/Career/Listing-Certifications-and-Degrees-in-Signature-Blocks-or/td-p/...

https://www.isc2.org/-/media/ISC2/Documents/logoguidelines.ashx?la=en&hash=C14D5C1A379D142E3928BE1DB...

denbesten
Community Champion

@Early_Adopter is correct. You might also review (ISC)²'s policies regarding logo usage, both the green square-ish thing and the 5 letters "CISSP".  They are a bit protective of their trademarks.

amandavanceISC2

@MHawkins Thank you for your inquiry and congratulations on taking the next steps to obtain your CISSP. @denbesten & @Early_Adopter are correct. You may not claim to hold the CISSP under any circumstances, unless you have passed the endorsement process and hold the CISSP. Once you have passed the exam, you may chose to become an Associate of (ISC)². If you would like assistance creating the Associate of (ISC)² on your account (once you've passed the exam), please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly and I'll be happy to walk you through the process. Once you become an Associate of (ISC)², that is the only thing you are able to list in your signatures, social media, resumes, etc... until you pass the endorsement process.

Best Regards,

Amanda Vance 

avance@isc2.org 

MHawkins
Viewer III

Right -- I didn't intend to claim I was a CISSP, but I was wondering if I could indicate that I passed this particular exam to become an Associate.  I searched the Community and found a helpful article earlier.

I also claimed my digital badge for my CV and such.

Thank you all for your quick responses!

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Understood, non-indication of exam makes sense as while the exam has a seen as a hurdle*, the verified experience is at least as important, the rationale is not to devalue the certification by calling out the exam passed. 

Best of luck.