Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Location services, shouldn't we just turn them off?

Given location services such as Google Maps, shouldn't we start thinking and acting?

As yourself the following questions:

Let’s ask ourselves some tough questions about location services, shall we?

1. Is using location services worth the invasion of your privacy?

2. Is using location services worth you getting fired from your job?

3. Is using location services worth getting your private relationship details exposed?

4. Is using location services worth getting financial data stolen?

5. Is using location services worth being stalked?

6. Is using location services worth your children being followed to school?

Perhaps we should set up a survey, to see what others thing about the above subject, although it does branch across Technology, Privacy and Industrial News - it is already here - but once again, shouldn't we be thinking about the implications and who has access to the data, and who is selling it?

Regards

Caute_cautim

2 Replies
denbesten
Community Champion

Often times, the knife cuts both ways:

2. Since I strive to comply with company policy, location services are more likely to provide me with a defense against false allegations of visiting a bar (or wherever) while on-the-clock.

3. Since I am faithful to and honest with my spouse, location services would only serve to affirm my claims of working late.

4. Using a mobile app with location services to validate "card present" charges seems like a pretty slick way to thwart card skimmers.

6. Find-my-iphone/android might also help locate my kid if he does not make it home some day. 

The latest OS on my phone allows me to enable/disable location services per-application.  This seems like a pretty decent compromise. 

Flyslinger2
Community Champion

I am a huge pro-geolocation person.  I want that data to show my activities because it can be used in building a more accurate database for use in multi-factor authentication.  

If my bank knows what normal range of IP addresses that I authenticate in from and then one day a different IP address is used I would want that Bank to throw up the alarms and add additional verification steps (captcha, etc) until it is satisfied that it is truly me.

I'm looking to see more capabilities added for authentication based on geolocation.