CraginS
Defender I

Deny is the New Black

Is it PC, or just a good idea?

Brits have officially shifted terminology from

black list & white list

to

deny listallow list.

NCSC's Head of Advice and Guidance explains the change in Terminology: it's not black and white.

Apparently it is not open for discussion, at least at NCSC: 

"And finally, a word from the NCSC's Technical Director Ian Levy (supported by the full NCSC Management Board): 'If you’re thinking about getting in touch saying this is political correctness gone mad, don’t bother.'"

I suppose it is still acceptable to talk about grey areas (or is it gray?).

Although I will admit to being often annoyed by PC-ism running amuck, this one doesn't really bother me. It does remind me of a controversy many years ago in the system controller hardware world when some folks decided to take offense at the notion of master units snd slave units. I don't recall how that one settled out.

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
4 Replies
ericgeater
Community Champion

Deny/allow fits the subject better. Hones the description.

People have real experiences that they carry with them. Recognizing that isn't "political correctness".  It's maturity.

--
"A claim is as good as its veracity."
emb021
Advocate I

So what about black hat, white hat, gray hat??

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@CraginSCurrently re-reading Orwell's 1984, Now Page 69 or there about goes into the issue of Black is really White, and White is really Black - then you have to believe what they tell you - you have no choice.  To do so is a Thoughtcrime.  You have to take it as it comes or the Proles.  Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them. The Party is in possession of absolute truth, and clearly the absolute can never have been different from what it is now.

Regards

Caute_cautim

ericgeater
Community Champion

So is Black Hat® the good guys or bad guys?

I like language that most succinctly describes something.  Deny / Allow are the privileges in question, so it fits better than whitelist or blacklist.

Are there other places where white and black provide a succinct description?  Probably, but neither white nor black truly illustrate intent.

--
"A claim is as good as its veracity."