cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tldutton
ISC2 Team

Resources and approaches to preparing for any ISC2 Exam

Hello,

I'm Terence (Terry) Dutton and as the Senior Exam Content Development Manager for ISC2 as well as a certified ISC2 member (CISSP, 2009), I'm in a unique position to provide a structured approach to preparing for any of our certification exams.  I can't go over actual exam content, but I can share what FREE resources ISC2 provides as well as the process I've used to successfully prepare for all of my certification exams (past and present) such as CISSP, PMP, MCSE: Security, and CCNA.

Just send me an IM on this platform and I'll reach out to you.

53 Replies
MelakuA
Viewer II

Hello, 

My name is Melaku, and I just retired from the USAF six months ago. I self-studied the CISSP book by Dr. Mike Chapple and David Seidle. Would you please share the resources and the process you have used to be successfully certified for all your outstanding certifications?  Thanks in advance!

V/R

Melaku

Irfan_UK
Viewer II

I have been working on my SSCP CBK content and have found the related flash cards to be useful in terms of the expected definitions for certain technical terms.

However I have come across typos and spelling errors which ought to be corrected to provide even better experience for the learners so can (ISC)2 look into improving their quality? 

I also find sometimes the same terms are repeated under different domains so may be such redundancy can be removed and content aligned more closely with the said domain.

Edmundo
Viewer

Please, can you help me with resources to help me pass my ISC2 exams.

Thanks

Edmund Oparaodu

tldutton
ISC2 Team

I also retired from the Air Force (in 2008); I was a Tech Controller (3C2).

What has helped me personally and people I've talked to is to vary your study materials.  One source (class/book/webinar) may not present the topic material in a way that aligns with your learning style; collecting study material from multiple sources is key.  I tell people that the first step in starting your study regime is to download the most current exam outline; it gives you a definitive structure to base your studying since EVERY exam item is mapped to a particular line in the exam outline.  If you find yourself not grasping a particular topic very well, leverage the associated communities on this site or even do a web search to find the resource/explanation that best helps you. 

When I was preparing for the CISSP back in 2009, I read Shon Harris' exam prep guide cover-to-cover, searched the internet for applicable forums, then took a week-long bootcamp to provide more structure to my last week of studying (being able to ask an "expert" to better explain a topic), then took my exam the next day. 

denbesten
Community Champion

@tldutton wrote:

I tell people that the first step in starting your study regime is to download the most current exam outline; it gives you a definitive structure to base your studying since EVERY exam item is mapped to a particular line in the exam outline. 

This is incredibly good advise.  And, coming from a person in a position to definitively tell you why it is such good advise.  Listen to Terry.

BalaBK
Viewer

Hello 

How do I buy the official study guide/Book of knowledge for CISSP exam?  I am already Certified in Cybersecurity.

mariatirado
Community Manager

Hello, have you tried visiting this page? https://www.isc2.org/training#CISSP

denbesten
Community Champion

Amazon has them.

shri1
Newcomer I

Deleted (I found the guidelines in prior messages). Thanks

stanislav_88
Newcomer I

Hello Terry, question for the ISC2 team.

I completed my online free training (The 1mil candidates) as well as the exam assessment and all the quizzes. I have my CC exam scheduled to take at the end of this month but when i log in to my ISC2 account i see all blank. I do not see the material that I can use to review or the post exam practice test to take.

Has anyone been in this situation?
How/where to get study guide in this scenario?
Thank you in advance.