Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ISCMAC802
Newcomer I

CISSP Exam Failure Feb 2018

Just come out of my CISSP exam and found I had failed for a second time.

I have studied using multiple sources.

One Week Training Course.

ISC2 Offical Guide

ISC2 Offical Practice Tests

11th Hour 

Cybrary

Does anyone else find the wording of questions ambiguous. The questions never appear to be constructed in the most articulate manner? They certainly do not follow the same style as the practice test questions in the official guide.

Additionally our test centre was evacuated mid exam so that didn't help the focus. 

Any guidance would be great as I have another 90 days until resit.

Thanks

Mac

47 Replies
cissptaker
Newcomer I

I took ISC2 boot camp at work sometime back, I have been studying from ISC2 books, cybrary.it and multiple other books. As I mentioned I did very well in all the practice tests (from various sources). I am not sure if ISC2 is testing knowledge in these domains or it is a English test. I personally think if you have ability to interpret those question, study and knowledge in 8 domains does not matter that much.

@Aaronag wrote:

Sorry to hear you've had such a negative experience. I would imagine that this is a very tough test to take if one weren't a native speaker. The wording can definitely seem ambiguous at times. May I ask if you took any in person preparation classes prior to taking the exam?I can definitely see how expense would be a deterrent in going further in pursuing this particular credential. You would need to make the determination for yourself if trying again was worth it. In the end, it is about the knowledge gained.

cissptaker
Newcomer I

Thank you so much. I guess I will have to work on my reading speed also. It is expensive exam. I am thinking it is really worth?

cissptaker
Newcomer I

I understand don't give up. But the test fee is very high. 

10sneONE
Reader I

What are your results on the practice tests?

I was getting 65-70% correct and I took the CISSP and earned 577 points.

You should be getting 80% correct or better on the practice exams and then take the test. If you score less than 80% you need more studying.

Some questions are straight memorization and some are applying principles to solving problems.

e_u
Viewer II

Never ever give up. "To succeed, you have to increase your rate of failure" This might sound stupid, but it is a truism. Try again my friend.

j_M007
Community Champion

I encourage you to keep at it and to consider it a worthwhile challenge. It's like looking for gold; you don't find it it under every stone. 😉

I have colleagues whose first language is not English, so I suggest an approach.that often works for them.

Firstly,drill yourself on as many practice questions as you can find, and try for accuracy first time through.

Then, try try for speed and accuracy on subsequent drills. Keep drilling until you are as comfortable as possible. I do not suggest rote memorization; rather, I do suggest complete understanding of the CBK matter.

Secondly, to make sure you have understanding of the matter, go through tables of contents and test yourself (or, better still, have others quiz you.) Make questions and study from them. Accuracy first; speed and accuracy second.

Read as much as you can on the 8 domains, and make notes on what you read. Make your own questions from your readings. Have others make questions, too.

To succeed, you must completely understand the terms and concepts. Many questions seem to hinge on comparsions and distracters, and this is meant to test your fundamental understanding of the matter.

When I see a question I look to see the most obvious howlers (the most untrue point there is) and immediately ignore it. Then I look for what I call "the truthiest" answer. If I am completely bewildered by the question, then I try to give the best guess.

As English is not your first language, I believe the test is provided in other languages. If you are fluent in another language in which the exam is offered, prepare for that.

Another suggestion is to form a study group with as many colleagues as you can. Try to include people whose mother tongue is English and ask them why they think one answer is better than another

Make a plan to succeed. Part of what makes a professional in any field is "finding a way." It takes time, and it's worth it.

Best wishes for success.

Sec007
Newcomer I

Don't give up!!  I failed my first attempt by a few points and passed the 2nd time.  Even though I've been in the security field for 7 plus years, I failed because I wore my technical cap.  Think like a manager!!  I can't emphasize that enough.  For the 2nd time, I read CISSP Sybex 7th Edition (took notes) over a a period of 3 months.  In addition, a read The 11th Hour a week before the test and Sunflower Domains 2017 the night before the test.  Make sure you dedicate quality study time.  I studied 2 - 3 hours a night, Monday - Friday.  Mind Maps also helped.  The test is a beast, but you can do it.  Once you commit to an answer, don't change it.  On a side not, make sure you get  enough (at 7 hours) sleep the night before the test.      

j_M007
Community Champion

Thanks for the information Sec007.

I am particularly intrigued by your use of mind maps. Did you draw them out by hand? Or did you use any of the software solutions out there? (*If the latter, they discourage us from using product names, so I am sure a web search would come up with plenty from which to choose.)

How did you approach mind mapping the CBK?

Sec007
Newcomer I

I used Mind Maps from mindcert’s site. Some of the info is dated, but can easily be updated with the current info. I used it for Crypto. Don’t be intimidated by Crypto. As long as you understand the foundation, you’ll pass the questions with ease. Keep in mind Sec Risk & Management and Sec Ops account (carefully read the questions, but don’t take too long on questions) for 1/3 of the questions. If you’re technical, you won’t have any problems with Sec Eng and Communication & Network Sec. I’m fortunate I worked on security projects before transferring into the field. Even if you don’t currently work in the field, Security is present and required in any sector, department or aspects of business. Seek out mentors and read security related publications. Security Podcast are hidden gold minds. Stay at it and don’t give up!!
j_M007
Community Champion

Cool. Thanks for the info. I have booked my "boot camp" and hope to write in mid May.