Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ISCMAC802
Newcomer I

CISSP Exam Failure Feb 2018

Just come out of my CISSP exam and found I had failed for a second time.

I have studied using multiple sources.

One Week Training Course.

ISC2 Offical Guide

ISC2 Offical Practice Tests

11th Hour 

Cybrary

Does anyone else find the wording of questions ambiguous. The questions never appear to be constructed in the most articulate manner? They certainly do not follow the same style as the practice test questions in the official guide.

Additionally our test centre was evacuated mid exam so that didn't help the focus. 

Any guidance would be great as I have another 90 days until resit.

Thanks

Mac

47 Replies
HardCorps88
Newcomer I

I failed two weeks ago. I used the same resources and I’m up in air as to how I can prepare going forward.
Aaronag
Viewer III

The CISSP All in One Exam Guide and a bootcamp through InfoSec Institute in the DC area were my main prep resources, though I still think my main preparation was getting a masters in cybersecurity, which led me to being very broadly read in the field. By the time I got to Shon Harris' book, I felt there wasn't anything new being thrown at me. That seems to be the common theme when I talk to people who didn't pass, that there were areas they just didn't feel conversant in, thought they may know other particular areas very in depth. It is a tough test, and no, there are no test preps that really duplicate the language (though I find that to be true of other certification exams). What the practice exams point to are whole areas where questions can come from. I think the test is nearly impossible to cram for, because it is just so broad. There isn't a single source I've seen that you can truly say "just memorize this cover to cover and you'll pass". 

Just my 2 cents, but being evacuated mid exam, to me, should be grounds to retest. That testing center did not provide you a space conducive to the exam. 

ISCMAC802
Newcomer I

Thanks for the feedback, I agree it is certainly not a crammable test. I have raised a case with the testing facility as I dont think it helped being away from the terminal for 20 mins, just when I was getting in the zone 😉 

My plan now is to create my own storyboards to help me understand the content of every possible topic, how its integrated, why its integrated and what relations there are to other security controls.

I am a kinesthetic learner, learn by doing, so hopefully this will help. Smiley Wink

j_M007
Community Champion

Excellent points Mac. I also think looking at the table of contents of the study resources and practicing with plenty of questions (ABCD) and flashcards would help.

Keep at it. It's worth it.

Best!

tom_h
Viewer III

That sounds like a good plan.  What I noted in my CISSP exam (2011, so a few changes have been made) and CCSP (passed this morning) is that while there are some areas where rote memorization are required, there are many more where synthesis of that information is required.

It sounds like you already have the most important element of success: tenacity.  Keep at it and you will be successful.

Good Luck! 

Admarnelson
Newcomer III

I agree also, i never did this exam because i fear them, and i was preparing from the begin 2016 i stopped and return i stopped again and return, my real decision was end 2017. i'll do it for my family because they are waiting so much on me in this certification, now 2018 i'm writing small books from every books i recommended i will get this certification on first or second or no matter attempt. don't give up my friend  

cissptaker
Newcomer I

I took test this Saturday 2/24 and failed second time. I have solid knowledge of all 8 domains. But my English is not that strong. I was lost with all ambiguous questions and confusing answer choices. I felt pretty bad that I wasted my hard earned money. I am not sure why ISC2 has to use such language. In real time we do not come across this kind of ambiguous sentences. I have decided not to try anymore. 

Aaronag
Viewer III

Sorry to hear you've had such a negative experience. I would imagine that this is a very tough test to take if one weren't a native speaker. The wording can definitely seem ambiguous at times. May I ask if you took any in person preparation classes prior to taking the exam?I can definitely see how expense would be a deterrent in going further in pursuing this particular credential. You would need to make the determination for yourself if trying again was worth it. In the end, it is about the knowledge gained.

sandronmj
Viewer

Hi.. Don't worry. Things will be fine. My suggestion to you is read the questions at least three times and locate the key word, which will help you figure out what they are trying to ask. One exercise you can mentally visualize a scenario where if you are asked to set the questions for the exam, what all factors you will consider, what domains and areas you will pick... this will train your mind to see the other side of it which will complete the circle. My prayers will be with you next time to clear the exam. Goodwill, Sandron M J