cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schallacombe19
Viewer II

Which Master's program is right for me?

Good morning everyone,

I need some help trying to weighing essentially the pros and cons between 2 degree programs giving at my university. I would like to preface this question/discussion with, I WANT to get my Master's (I understand there is a group of people who don't think its needed which isn't what I am here to parse). I do also have my CISSP for whatever that could be worth in this discussion.

My current university offers two different MS in Cyber security. They are Cyber Operations and Cybersecurity Policy. I have worked in both fields, for a few years each, and I do thoroughly enjoy both. I also like to think I can excel in either one.

***I'm having a hard time choosing one because quite honestly I'm afraid I don't have enough information to make a sound choice. I don't know anyone in the field personally to discuss this, and I would hate to make a choice that 6 years from now I look back on and realize I should have gone the other route.***

Any data or personal experience on maybe why someone has or should pick one or the other would be much appreciated!

-Steve

4 Replies
JoePete
Advocate I

@schallacombe19 wrote:

My current university offers two different MS in Cyber security. They are Cyber Operations and Cybersecurity Policy. I have worked in both fields, for a few years each, and I do thoroughly enjoy both. I also like to think I can excel in either one.

Having worked in higher ed during a prior life, I know one of the challenges of developing academic programs was the lengthy period (in our case about 7 years) it took to get approval. The mileage of your university may vary, of course, but it is something to consider and research. It really gets reflected in the mix of classes (not necessarily their content). Against that backdrop, while "Cyber Operations" sounds engaging, the peril would be something more concept based because it is hard to teach most-current practices and tools. In contrast, policy is a more evergreen topic. Understanding policy and its role in overall governance is sorely lacking at many organizations.

I guess what I am saying is I see more upside and differentiation on the policy topic than operations. I think it also lends itself to more academic research than operations. Operations is much more applied. That said an operations program that focuses on real-world dynamics and constraints would be great, but it is hard to imagine how to deliver it in an academic setting.

The good news for you is I see these specializations as reflecting some real thought into the program as opposed to something more generic. 

JKWiniger
Community Champion

Names are great but personally I would like to see the course list for each! It's less about the title of the degree and more about what you will actually learn. If one program makes you take a bunch of classes that you will never have any interest in, sure it might round you out but I prefer learning about things that interest me...

John-

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

I’d concur with @JoePete on this, policy is there you would benifit more from a masters, less changeable and more broadly applicable wheats Ops will have more environmental and temporal variability.

If you wanted to benchmark your options see where they sit against the ISG at RH:

https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/postgraduate/information-security/information-security...

schallacombe19
Viewer II

I think i was leaning more towards policy to begin with, but had not considered your position. Appreciate the point of view!