cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RLinn
Newcomer I

Looking for Some Career Guidance

Hello Everyone,

My name is Ryan, and just recently I've passed my CC exam. After looking through some other recent posts it seems that having the CC helps rather minimally towards getting a foot in the door in terms of growing a career in cyber security. While I appreciate the advice offered in those other posts such as networking via my ISC2 local chapter and creating my career image on sites such as Linked-in, is there any merit in simply jumping to the next course and certification?

In my case, my current role is as an SOC Analyst for just under a year at this point, so the SSCP seems like a potential option. However, the SOC I work for is much more of a physical security role, rather than an IT or cyber based one, so my resume lacks nearly all of the experience typical SOC analysts job posts are looking for. Is it possible to succeed in the SSCP course and exam with a basic understanding of IT/network security, but significant physical security experience? Also, how can I leverage such a background when networking at my local ISC2 chapter events? 

Thank you for any help in advance,

Ryan Linn

4 Replies
dcontesti
Community Champion

Ryan,

Have you expressed your desire to work in IT Security to your supervisor during a performance review?  If you had, they might be able to assist you with finding some work in IT Security that may assist you.  If you have not, try testing the waters with them to see if they are willing to do some work sharing with the Security department.

Please do not discount your Physical Security experience.  You should find it a great base for your future career in IT security, you already are thinking the right way.

Regards

d

RLinn
Newcomer I

Thank you so much for the advice, I will certainly speak with one of my managers about changing departments. My company internal job board doesn't appear to have any available IT security related positions unfortunately. Would you suggest that I look into any type of IT role? or wait for something security related to open? Also in regards to my other question, what do you think about going immediately for the SSCP or CCSP courses through ISC2? Not necessarily the exams right away, but the courses that prep you for them.

Thanks again,

Ryan

dcontesti
Community Champion

When discussing with the powers that be, you could couch it as "I am interested in Cybersecurity and wondering is there are any opportunities to expand my knowledge"

Not all jobs come up on the Boards as there is sometimes the need for someone part time.

I cannot opine as to whether you should look for other roles or wait.  I will say that experience in other areas will assist you in a career in Security.

Either the SSCP or CCSP will put you in good stead for a career in Security.

I strongly recommend that you find a local chapter (ISC2, ISACA, ISSA, etc.) and attend their meetings.  They should provide a stronger knowledge base for you around tools, practices, etc.  Also, remember a number of the chapters are still doing virtual meetings.

Hope this helps a bit

d

RLinn
Newcomer I

I appreciate all the advice. Hopefully I can take it from here, now that I have a direction I can move towards. Thank you so much for taking the time and effort

-Ryan