Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Until_then
Contributor I

Typical Job(s) for CAP

Hello, since it's not specifically mentioned in the CAP section of the ISC^2 website, what's a typical job that specifically requires CAP?

For months, I've been researching job listings. As you probably know, different agencies/organizations have different requirements for positions of the same job title. For example, I've seen ISSO job listings that require CISSP and other ISSO listings that require IAT Level II, IAM Level I/II, etc. 

4 Replies
CraginS
Defender I

@Until_then wrote:

Hello, since it's not specifically mentioned in the CAP section of the ISC^2 website, what's a typical job that specifically requires CAP?

For months, I've been researching job listings. As you probably know, different agencies/organizations have different requirements for positions of the same job title. For example, I've seen ISSO job listings that require CISSP and other ISSO listings that require IAT Level II, IAM Level I/II, etc. 

Ruel,

I think you are working backwards. Instead of looking at a certification and asking what jobs might call for it, look at the jobs you are interested in, and ask what training or credentials (to include certifications) would help get hired for the jobs. 

Also, understand that IAT and IAM are not certifications, They are job categories for US Department for Defense work in cyber or information assurance (IA)), an older name for cybersecurity, originally defined in DoD 8570 and now managed under the Cyber Workforce Management program. IAT is Information Assurance Technical and IAM is Information Assurance Management. 

You can see the extensive list of certifications that qualify for filling IAT and IAM positions at

DoD Approved 8570 Baseline Certifications

By the way, that  list shows CAP as qualifying to IAM Level I and Level II positions.

Good luck in your learning quest.

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
AppDefects
Community Champion

Although you may not see it spelled out in job postings CAP is the HOTTEST Certification for the US Federal government. I kid you not. A CAP is responsible for managing and conducting the security work related to attaining systems authorization - that's a big deal! A CAP is well-versed in applying the Risk Management Framework (RMF) - that's also a big deal because by unifying systems authorization under one umbrella the process supports multiple Federal agencies and their components. When you are looking at jobs look at the tasks and required skills then you'll see alignment with CAP. After you have the experience then you can certify! Good luck!

Until_then
Contributor I

Hot is good...especially during winter. Thanks.

Calvertt
Viewer

Job. Information Assurance Analyst. Veterans Service Representative. Information Security Analyst. Security Engineer, Information Systems. Cyber Security Engineer. Immigration Attorney / Lawyer. Information Security Officer.

AES Success