Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scottmconard
Viewer

Re: Looking for help - Entry Level Cyber Security

I transitioned to a Cybersecurity coming out of academia because my Mom passed away and my Dad is 76 and handicapped. I moved back home to take care of him and make sure he was handling losing his wife of 50+ years! In academia one cannot just move to a certain town and get a full time job until someone leaves. So, I made the switch to cybersecurity. 

I got the ISC2 CC certification and I cannot find a job that lists that certification anywhere. They all list Security+, and the one from ISC2 which requires 5 years in the field.

I do not want anymore certifications nor any more college debt. I have done a number of cyber experiences and I think I am more than capable of being a soc analyst, I just want to know how valuable this CC certificate is.

Thanks and good luck to the Mom who is looking for her son!

Scott

3 Replies
emb021
Advocate I

"I got the ISC2 CC certification and I cannot find a job that lists that certification anywhere. They all list Security+, and the one from ISC2 which requires 5 years in the field."

Understand that the CC is brand new.

It will sadly take some time for it to start showing up on job descriptions along with the Sec+.  I'm not even sure if the DOD has added it to the 8150 list, which will lead other government entities to call for it.

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow
Trevor2751
Viewer II

You should look into getting the security+ as well despite you not wanting to. CC is new and will take some time to develop to the prestige its other certifications have. I am studying for that one right now and CC helped me get comfortable.

Kaity
Community Manager

Hi all! I would recommend following our new LinkedIn page on Entry-Level Cybersecurity. We'll be surfacing up advice, resources and more on that page to help with the start of your cyber career journey!

https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/90426300/