cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BMwine
Newcomer I

Hope for Certified Professionals in Third world countries

Hi Folks,

I am CISSP certified and contemplating on taking the CCSP.

Truth be told, I hail from a third-world country where my skills are not yet even recognized, though I hang on to the hope that my break may come through some day to work for a reputable institution in a developed country.

I ask myself for how long should I keep hoping? And will I ever reap the benefits of being IT Security savvy? Will I ever get paid what I am worth and studied for?

Behind all the negative thoughts, I keep pushing and learning more by the day on my own. This is a message to all who feel like I do ... Keep trying!!! There is light at the end of the tunnel ... Someday ... Just someday ...

Regards,

Brian.

2 Replies
CISOScott
Community Champion

I like the fact that you want to inspire people, that is what the world needs more of. Here is my story to hopefully inspire you as well.

I loved working on IT in high school and was often consulted by the teachers due to my experience. I even helped them prepare their lessons! I went to a junior college and continued my studies in computer programming. I ran into a very skilled teacher who could not teach the subjects.. All of his students were not getting what he was teaching because he was teaching at too high of a level for even us smart computer people. When we confronted him he started expelling students from his class. The rumor was that he was going to be giving all of our computer classes so I quit and changed majors to an automotive career. That led me into painting. I got a job painting airplanes and started my family. A little while after our second child was born and 10 years after I changed my major,  I came home from work one day and my wife asked me "If you could do what you love for work, what would you do?" I told her I would like to work in IT. She said "Well why don't you then?" I explained that it would require a 50% cut in pay as I would have to come back into IT at the entry level since I had been out of IT  for over 10 years.

What she said next stunned me and made me realize how lucky I was to have her as a wife. She said "Go for it. We will manage on the lower salary. Since I can't work (stay at home mom) you will have to provide for us in the future so it might as well be doing something you love." I switched back to IT and I do not feel I have worked a day since. It only took me about 3 years to get back to that salary and then surpass it. I now make more than I ever could have if I would have remained in the painting field, AND I love what I do.

So get as much experience as you can and follow your passion. Your dreams can come true if you put in the effort.

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Wow, what a passion, determination and drive.  I also like CISOScott's story too.  I have a similar story, but this is the wrong forum to discuss it.  However, I agree, you cannot give up hoping, you have to keep believing and also looking further afield as to what are other countries doing.  Can I apply the same principles or particular approach where ever you are.   What are the benefits, you could bring about, if a single person will just open their eyes, and ears and listen carefully.   Sometimes in the past, it was a standing joke, that I was from the Planet Zog, but like others, you have to believe that you can make a difference and through absolute determination, but also watching out for those small openings, and opportunities that you can possibly exploit and hope that they will flourish.   You can do it, you can make a difference, no matter how difficult your circumstances are and you have to keep believing that someone, some where will give you the opportunity.   As human beings, we have a inbuilt reservation about taking a risk.  Some times, you simply have to prepare, and take the first step and push forward and with every little success, bigger opportunities will arise.  Having a strong partner, who believes in you too, also helps too.