cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shanv82
Newcomer I

CISSP vs CSSLP

Hi,

I am a researcher by profession, with over 17 years of experience working in different labs - I have spent nearly 14 years researching on various aspects of networks and distributed systems, with focus on security for the first decade of my career. I have working knowledge of topics like cryptography, network security, software design and architecting etc. 

I am considering getting myself certified, as I have strayed away from core security for sometime, and I would want to get back to the thick of things in the industry (production/research). I am of the opinion that given my experience, I should consider either CISSP or CSSLP (I am considering CSSLP, since it adds a new dimension to my existing skillset - I do not have much knowledge about secure design and coding practices, since I have developed prototypes (and very little production code) most of my life.

I welcome thoughts/suggestions based on the above. Please feel free to suggest an alternative certification that you think may be more relevant for my experience.

4 Replies
ltenny
Newcomer I

I have both certs and I would suggest you pursue both as well.  I would suggest you work on the CISSP first as it's more broad/comprehensive...the whole mile wide, foot deep thing.  It also, strangely, seemed easier.  I took the CSSLP test just before the transition to the shorter test but I doubt if it's any easier now.  The domains for the CSSLP are more concentrated and in-depth than the CISSP but in many ways it seemed as if having gone through the CISSP process was great prep for the CSSLP.

shanv82
Newcomer I

Thanks Itenny, this is very useful!! I know that preparation times are very subjective, but I wanted to have an opinion on guestimates.

I plan to spend 6-10 hours during weekends (and occasional couple of hours during weekdays) for preparation. Given that time frame, when should i give the CISSP exam?

CraginS
Defender I

@shanv82 wrote:

Thanks Itenny, this is very useful!! I know that preparation times are very subjective, but I wanted to have an opinion on guestimates.

I plan to spend 6-10 hours during weekends (and occasional couple of hours during weekdays) for preparation. Given that time frame, when should i give the CISSP exam?

Vijay,

I recommend setting a specific target date of four to six months off, and marking that on your calendar, maybe even making the reservation at the testing center. That causes a psychology of motivation to occur that will keep you focused on your study schedule and covering each of the domains in your plan. If you only "intend" to test in x weeks or months, you may easily approach that date and tell yourself "I'm not ready, yet. I'll keep studying."

I used this method many years ago and it got me off of the "keep studying" cycle, with excellent results.

Good luck!

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
shanv82
Newcomer I

I full agree!!At the stage of life that I am in, I am sure that is the best way to get it done. The idea of getting at a guestimate was to fix the exam at (1.2* guestimate time).

I have Early to mid December in mind. Thoughts are welcome.