Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zulu
Viewer II

Submitting a course I taught for CPE credits

Good day fellow Cyber Security Professionals - I've a quandry for you!

I've got lots of budding security experts in my organization and I was asked to help prep them for the Security+ SY0-601 Exam. I went through the domains, and the subdomains - and built up an 8 hour course where we went over what to expect so far as testing (90 minute exam with 90 questions), how to study, what sources to use, and what other certs to pursue, and ran through some practice questions to really see what information they were retaining (As an aside - I'm genually impressed by how much the Security+ exam has evolved). 

I've taught this class 3 times, and now I'm wondering how exactly to submit this teaching experience for CPEs. in looking at the submittal portal, I'm not even sure where to begin. I already plan on submitting the presentation as evidence, but was also going to submit a digitally signed memorandum from my Commander as further supporting documentation. 

EXSUM: 
1. How exactly do I submit this for CPEs? (I know the process, just not exactly the categories to select)
2. Am I missing anything so far as supporting evidence?
3. Does anyone have in tips for keeping up momentum with a "junior level" security education/mentoring program? I have leadership buy in - I just need more buy in from my peers. 

Any advice is greatly apprecaited.  

Pro Patria Vigilans
6 Replies
CraginS
Defender I

@Zulu wrote:

I've taught this class 3 times, and now I'm wondering how exactly to submit this teaching experience for CPEs. in looking at the submittal portal, I'm not even sure where to begin. I already plan on submitting the presentation as evidence, but was also going to submit a digitally signed memorandum from my Commander as further supporting documentation. 

EXSUM: 
1. How exactly do I submit this for CPEs? (I know the process, just not exactly the categories to select)
2. Am I missing anything so far as supporting evidence?
3. Does anyone have in tips for keeping up momentum with a "junior level" security education/mentoring program? I have leadership buy in - I just need more buy in from my peers. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated.  

Zarin,

You can claim CPE for developing a course, as well as for developing new material to update an existing course, but not for teaching it. 

RTFM, p. 15:

Create New Industry Knowledge
You can earn Group A CPE credits for creating new content for the topic related to your credential area of expertise.
Qualifying activities include:
     • Writing, researching & publishing
     • Preparation time for a webinar, podcast, or presentation
     • Preparing new or updating existing training seminar or classroom material (this excludes development of (ISC)2 Official Training Materials)
     • Serving as Subject Matter Expert (SME) for a panel discussion

Maximum number of CPE credits apply to the following activities:

- Preparing existing training - 1-day course equals 2 CPE credits, 2-day
course equals 5 CPE credits, 5-7 days course equals 10 CPE credits,
semester (12 or more weeks) equals 20 CPE credits

=-=-=-=

Read the linked guide for evidence details for your own comfort level. To me, it seems you have already planned adequate evidence.

Congrats on taking the initiative with your team. Excellent peer-leadership.

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
AOmar
Viewer III

Dear Members,

I am teaching different computer science courses at an applied university. In addition, I conduct research on security topics. Reading books/manuals/academic articles and updating course content/knowledge is part of my weekly routine. From your previous answer, it is clear to me that teaching-hours can not be used to get CPEs. I also read the handbook, but I am not sure how the following activities are accounted for CPE:

• Course given to students and exam preparation by reading articles (academic or technical references) to update the knowledge
  • Research activities, for example, preparing on-demand awareness presentation for department members and community on privacy and security topics. This involves reading several academic papers and reference those in the presentation. Do I need to submit each read paper independently or all in one as a presentation? The whole preparation process of a presentation takes several days for such on demand presentation. 

Thanks in advance for your answer!

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

The CPE handbook is a twenty page document containing lots of pictures of people grinning at each other… this can make it confusing as you try to parse all the primate threat gestures and Mona Lisa half smiles of stock office photographs.

https://www.isc2.org/-/media/ISC2/Certifications/CPE/MEM-CPE_Handbook-DIGITAL.ashx

Fortunately it also is authoritative on submission of CPEs! 🙂

Your best match based on description is found on page, 15 contributions to the industry. In “Create New Industry knowledge” you can review first and third bullets down, underneath in the next box it gives you the allowable rates. They are not that good foe educational prep, personally I’d bite the bullet and watch brightalk or similar…
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Here you see the actual rates(was going to try post a screen, but format not supported) given the caps on CPEs you might be better off just reporting reading the whitepaper - I’d say if you fill it in as prep then group it and submit the white peers and transcripts for the duration of the training, then map the domains to your various certs, but as you can see the tarries don’t really make much sense 2 for one day is great value compared to 20 for a semester… but two hour long vender presses and you’ve matched it.

• Maximum number of CPE credits apply to the following activities:
- Books – 40 CPE credits per book as author, 20 CPE credits per book as co-author, 10 CPE credits per book as editor
- Articles – 20 CPE credits per article as author, 10 CPE credits per article as co-author, 5 CPE credits per article as editor
- Chapter in Book – 20 CPE credits per chapter as author, 10 CPE credits per chapter as co-author, 5 CPE credits per chapter as editor
- Professional Blog – 10 CPE credits per blog as author, 5 CPE credits per blog as co-author, 2 CPE credits per blog as editor
- White Paper – 10 CPE credits per white paper as author, 5 CPE credits per white paper as co-author, 2 CPE credits per white paper as editor
- Preparing existing training - 1-day course equals 2 CPE credits, 2-day course equals 5 CPE credits, 5-7 days course equals 10 CPE credits, semester (12 or more weeks) equals 20 CPE credits

AOmar
Viewer III

Thanks @Early_Adopter for your extensive explanation! You clarified many things for me.
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

NP, happy to help.