cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JJSantos
Newcomer I

CPE interoperability & function

Dear Community

How are you? I hope you are fine. The fisrt thing you are told after passing the exam is that, to renew the certification, you must obtain 120 CPE's. Then, one of the ways to obtain such credits is through more extensive training. However, I have not seen a table with the equivalences of the activities with their exact value in CPE's.

In my case, I am considering taking another exam in a GRC certification, but if I do so, I don't know what would be the numbers of CPE's I would obtain in exchange. I suppose that I would depend on the certification. Currently I am considering CGRC (CAP) and CISM. In addition, I learn German.

With tihs in mind, I kindly ask you, if you know how many credits you earn for each new certificate? Does studying languages count? What kind of evidence would I be requested in order to obtain such credits? Does ISC2 CPE system works with other oraganizations like IRCA, CompTIA or ISACA?

Really, many many thanks in advance.

Juan José

Head of Cyber Intelligence

CISSP, CompTIA Security+, CompTIA Network+, ISO27001 Lead Auditor
5 Replies
dcontesti
Community Champion

Hopefully this document will answer your questions:

https://www.isc2.org/-/media/ISC2/Certifications/CPE/CPE---Handbook.ashx?la=en&hash=0AEF69053C580BF6...

If not, I would reach out to Member support.

d

JJSantos
Newcomer I

Hi dcontesti

I have just wrote to Member Support, so when I have an answer, I will reply here.Many thanks for your time and effort.

Juan José

Head of Cyber Intelligence

CISSP, CompTIA Security+, CompTIA Network+, ISO27001 Lead Auditor
emb021
Advocate I

Not sure why you need to contact Member Support when the CPE Guide is pretty clear.

ISC2 is pretty liberal when it comes to CPEs.  BUT what I always tell folks in my presentation on certs is that each certification org is a little different with how they do things.  CPEs is one.

MOST orgs will give CPEs for training, attending professional association meetings, attending conferences, speaking at conferences (including writing the presentation), watching webinars, reading books, magazines, blogs.  

And if you have more then one cert, the same CPEs can be applied for all, and if you have certs more then one org, then you can certainly apply them to those as well.

Now there may be limits, tho.  Can only use so many CPEs per certain type, only use for so many certs from the same org, etc.

When it comes to giving CPEs for passing NEW certs, I know ISACA and GIAC does, but ISC2 does NOT.

Having certs with ISC2, ISACA, and GIAC has taught me this.  I wonder what it will be like when I add another org to the mix?

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow
DHerrmann
Contributor II

AndreaMoore
Community Manager

When it comes to giving CPEs for passing NEW certs, I know ISACA and GIAC does, but ISC2 does NOT.

FYI - clarifying this statement...You can document CPE credits for the educational/learning/studying but not the actual exam taking part. 

ISC2 Community Manager