Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RJohnB
Newcomer I

Duplicate CPEs from BrightTALK

Has anyone else seen duplicate CPEs automatically reported from BrightTALK webinars? This appears to happen if I go and view a webinar I have viewed before, even if it's just a few seconds.

Actually, I have seen automatically reported duplicates for quite a while, but I was able to delete them. I can't seem to do that anymore. So I have had to resort to asking ISC2 to delete them for me, which seems to take a while.

I would suggest:

1) It sure would be nice if ISC2 and/or BrightTALK fixed that.

2) It would be nice if we had the ability to delete duplicates ourselves again.

3) Check your transcript for duplicate entries. I would be nervous depending on the total count on your dashboard. It might be inflated.

6 Replies
cindelicato
Contributor I

I haven't seen this issue. What I have noticed is if I watch a stream of a previous BrightTalk webinar, and opt to stream it at 1.5x speed, I will only receive a cert with 40 mins CPE. Not cool.
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

@RJohnB 

I think Member Support needs to take a look at your account. Can you please send an email with these details regarding duplication along with your member ID number to membersupport@isc2.org?

Thank you!

ISC2 Community Manager
denbesten
Community Champion

@cindelicato wrote:
...stream it at 1.5x speed, I will only receive a cert with 40 mins CPE. Not cool.

I am somewhat surprised that someone thought to program that in.   As implemented it does match the rule --  "Typically, you will earn one CPE credit per one-hour time spent in an activity." [CPE handbook, page 9].  That said, the enforcement is not bidirectional.  Often times, I will rewind to listen to a section again, but I don't get "extra credit" for that (nor would I expect to).  

cindelicato
Contributor I

I spend a lot of time listening to podcasts at 1.5x (and more often at 2x); I understand there are those who could possibly abuse the effort to listen faster, but that’s no reason to deny others.
RJohnB
Newcomer I

Already done and most duplicates have been deleted. Unfortunately, another turned up after I sent the first email. I've followed up with another email to get this last one (I hope) taken care of.

RJohnB
Newcomer I

I don't seem to have a problem with rewinding and pausing. I think the issue is completing the first viewing, exiting, and then, at sometime later date, restarting. Restarting for any length of time will cause a duplicate CPE to be sent. Maybe it's just something wrong with my account? But I wouldn't think so. Looks like BrightTalk is sending credit for second viewings, and ISC2 isn't checking the history to see it's already been recorded for that particular video. I don't know the interface definition, so I don't know who is supposed to do what. Or maybe it wasn't something that was thought of.

I have sent requests for member support to fix things, and they have, mostly. Still have a couple dups to get fixed, but we're getting there.