Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kguyah
Viewer

Certified in Cybersecurity vs CompTIA Security+

Hi, does anyone know if the Certified in Cybersecurity certificate is a higher level of the Security+ certificate? I am currently studying for the Security+ certificate and plan to tackle the CC next.

16 Replies
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

@kguyah 

@kguyah wrote:

Hi, does anyone know if the Certified in Cybersecurity certificate is a higher level of the Security+ certificate? I am currently studying for the Security+ certificate and plan to tackle the CC next.

It would make sense for you to take Certified in Cybersecurity first. Certified in Cybersecurity is truly an entry-level certification. It is recommended that candidates have basic IT knowledge, but no work experience in cybersecurity or formal education is required. 

For CompTIA Security+, it is recommended that candidates have at least two years of IT administration experience with a security focus. 

Certified in Cybersecurity provides an onramp for newcomers on their path to advanced cybersecurity certifications like the CISSP and future leadership roles. And because the Certified in Cybersecurity training teaches the fundamentals around the terminology and addresses the “why” of cybersecurity, it is an excellent opportunity for candidates to explore whether cybersecurity is a fit for their interests.

ISC2 Community Manager
kguyah
Viewer

Awesome, thank you very much for that information Andrea, that is very helpful.

gidyn
Contributor III

Also to consider:

nkeaton
Newcomer III

Nice write-ups. Right now Security+ is $381, SSCP $249. Security+ has flooded the market with inexperienced people. Annual maintenance fees for Security+ are $50, SSCP, $125. The fee does not raise if get a CISSP. Lots of people let their Security+ expire after get a CISSP which would never recommend. I also believe that there is value in taking an (ISC)2 exam before the CISSP to become familiar with the testing. I hold and maintain all 3 certifications.
WoLNeS
Viewer III

Hi there,

I'm disappointed with the exam, I took it, and I studied for more than two months, And the exam isn't entry-level. It's the way that the ISC2 platform provides quiesces that aren't similar to the exam. The exam is much more complicated than the test on the forum. I'm unfortunately disappointed with what ISC2 do.

psatam
Newcomer I

I Am Extremely Sorry For The Issue You Faced. I Can Understand That The Exam Was Difficult But Trust Me If You Have Strong Control On Your Basics Trust Me Every Question Can Be Cracked. I Agree You Have Spend Enough Amount Of Time Learning The Course But IDK The Strategy You Used Before The Exam I Recommend You To Read This Guide That I Have Written.After Reading This I Am Sure You Can Change Your Studying Strategy And In Your Next Attempt You Will Crack It

Read Here,
https://link.medium.com/lKwjV5j0Vwb

If You Find It Helpful Do Follow On Medium And Share Your Thoughts That Will Encourage Me To Make More Such Content!

Hey there, I appreciate this blog post! Great info!

JoePete
Advocate I

@kguyah wrote:

If you become Security+ certified, CC would be overkill/unnecessary. If you are a looking for a really comprehensive view of all these certs an how they are perceived, check this:
https://pauljerimy.com/security-certification-roadmap/

ayoomogunsoye
Viewer

Great post. Many thanks for the info.