cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
at2
Newcomer II

Advice For Exam Takers

Hello Everyone,

I am yet to take the exam, I shall take it on Monday, I want to provide some advice to this forum that I think is useful.

According to my calculations, the units everyone should focus on to pass, is 1. Security Principals. 3. Access Control Concepts and 4. Network Security. If you look at the exam outline, if you can answer those questions correctly, you'll pass by 72 % and you need 70% to pass.

Also, the mock exam on the self based learning reflects this as well, please do not look at third party information as it may absolutely confuse you and scare you, keep strong and keep taking the mock if you like, rinse and repeat!

May Allah bless you all!

16 Replies
Stan2024
Newcomer I

I wrote my exam today and failed. I am still surprised how I fail because it wasn't that difficult as I was expecting, and I prepared very well. 

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Sorry you didn’t pass.

However don’t follow the above advice, it’s probably harmful.

Don’t rely on getting 100% in three domains to pass, it’s highly unlikely that you will get everything correct, and in any case the questions are weighted and you might get a slightly different mix. Bank on just three domains and ignore the others at your peril.

ISC2 doesn’t originate the source material for any of their exams - so you can look at reputable sources especially those referenced by the exam. Similarly Mike Chapple’s work is solid.

If you find it too hard or feel that the CC material didn’t cover all of the questions, well it’s possible, research questions may be there as well, or perhaps you didn’t prepare quite as well as you thought.
at2
Newcomer II

I’m sorry you didn’t pass, I wish you well and I hope you pass soon.
at2
Newcomer II

Of course I don’t ask anyone to rely on my advice, it’s just my opinion, I’m calculating that those are the most important domains questions will be asked from, I’m not relying on third party material because that could be dangerous, however I feel I’m ready for the exam.
denbesten
Community Champion

@at2 wrote:

... if you can answer those questions correctly, you'll pass by 72 % and you need 70% to pass.

On Tuesday, let us know how that strategy worked.  It is very different from the approach most people recommend.  Personally, I think it would be easier to be merely "proficient" in a whole bunch of things than practically perfect in a few.  

I’m not relying on third party material because that could be dangerous  

This is completely different from college.  The teacher is not writing the exam, and the exam writers are forbidden from using the teacher's notes.  There is no inherent advantage to using ISC2 material.  There is, however, advantage to using multiple diverse references in that you tend to learn the underlying knowledge, and not just one author's interpretation of it.

JoePete
Advocate I

In short, a 72 percent return for doing only 60 percent of the work. I certainly admire your sense of efficiency. In the interest of all (ISC)2 members, especially those of trying to figure out how to value the CC initiative, please let us know how you do on the exam. Who knows, in a few short days, you could find yourself as a full-fledged (ISC)2 member. Best of luck!

at2
Newcomer II

Of course I'll let everyone know how I do, I do hope to be able to pass the exam and become certified and get my first job in IT!

denbesten
Community Champion

@at2 , So how did you do?  

at2
Newcomer II

I tried my absolute best, eventually revised everything and failed, it was brutally tough from beginning to end!