Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JKWiniger
Community Champion

WFH - My Take...

I have worked from for over a decade and so many people think how great is must be and don't really believe me when I say it's not all it's cracked up to me. Someone I know started working from home about a year ago and came to me and said oh man you where right! With everything that I going on all I seem to see are article highlighting the good factors, so here are some bad. Studies have found that working from home is more stressful because we put my value on the time. If I am in the office, it really doesn't matter what I am doing because well, I'm in the office. At home we tend to feel that if we are not actively working we are not working. Many people joke about the water cooler, but it's actually an import part of the work day. I allows us to take a needed break from what we are doing and interact and socialize with our peers. Yes, I know, right now is not the time to socialize with our peers. But when you take this and a few other things away it fosters a level of isolationism which can lead to depression and other problems. We do have to be safe and be distant in these times, but maybe take a safe walk or at least get a little fresh air and know that you are not alone! When this is all over if your company still wants you to work from home because they realize, hey we now need less office space, try a coffee shop or any place there are others around. We are social animals and working from home cuts us off from that...

Thant's my .02 and I hope it might help a few people..

Be Safe..

John- 

2 Replies
dcontesti
Community Champion

@JKWiniger wrote:

I have worked from for over a decade and so many people think how great is must be and don't really believe me when I say it's not all it's cracked up to me. Someone I know started working from home about a year ago and came to me and said oh man you where right! With everything that I going on all I seem to see are article highlighting the good factors, so here are some bad. Studies have found that working from home is more stressful because we put my value on the time. If I am in the office, it really doesn't matter what I am doing because well, I'm in the office. At home we tend to feel that if we are not actively working we are not working. Many people joke about the water cooler, but it's actually an import part of the work day. I allows us to take a needed break from what we are doing and interact and socialize with our peers. Yes, I know, right now is not the time to socialize with our peers. But when you take this and a few other things away it fosters a level of isolationism which can lead to depression and other problems. We do have to be safe and be distant in these times, but maybe take a safe walk or at least get a little fresh air and know that you are not alone! When this is all over if your company still wants you to work from home because they realize, hey we now need less office space, try a coffee shop or any place there are others around. We are social animals and working from home cuts us off from that...

Thant's my .02 and I hope it might help a few people..

Be Safe..

John- 

Well said.

I have to agree that the interactions in the workplace are sometimes a blessing in disguise....I have found that being able to socialize with folks at work can bring a number of benefits (a break from the reality of work (talking about families), a place to share and explore ideas that you may be mulling, and sometimes a place to hear the latest gossip).

Working from home takes a lot of discipline.  Getting up in the morning, getting showered and then dressed and sitting down to do the work at hand.  

We once had a young lady that was working from home and did not realize the computer she was using had a camera on it.  Wouldn't you know it, the camera came on while she was on a conference call and she was sitting with her hair in rollers, a beauty mask on and in PJs.  She did not understand why folks started snickering.  

I believe that WFH has a place but as John has stated, take a break, get some fresh air, stretch the legs and body, talk to someone other than family (even if only on skype or slack or whatever tool).

d

JKWiniger
Community Champion

@dcontesti Yes I laughed! I thought web cams and hair in rollers only happened on TV!

John-