Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shannon
Community Champion

Proposal for new Badges...

There's been a lot of dissension about the use of badges to encourage participation on (ISC)2 Community, which some see as a bit demeaning.

That's dwarfed by the outbursts regarding the main site's recent 'revamp' which is causing a hell of a lot of inconvenience to members, particularly when it comes to maintaining CPEs.

Ironically, (ISC)2 can tackle all this by issuing a new set of badges, shown below: -

ACCEPT.png

The first badge in this set; to earn it you must complete the following:

• Attempt to register CPEs on the (ISC)2 at least 2 times.
  • Attempt to view CPEs on the (ISC)2 site at least once.

INQIURE.png

To earn this badge, you must complete the following:

• Attempt to register CPEs on the (ISC)2 site at least 2 times.
  • Attempt to view CPEs on the (ISC)2 site at least 2 times.
  • Make at least 1 post to ask Member Support about this.

CRITICIZE.png

To earn this you must complete the following:

• Attempt to register CPEs on the (ISC)2 site at least 5 times.
  • Attempt to view CPEs on the (ISC)2 at least 3 times.
  • Make at least 5 posts with negative feedback related to this.

APPRECIATE.png

To earn this you must complete the following:

• Attempt to register CPEs on the (ISC)2 site at least 10 times.
  • Attempt to view CPEs on the (ISC)2 site at least 8 times.
  • Make at least 5 posts with positive feedback related to this.

TOLERATE.png

To earn this badge, you must complete the following:

• Attempt to register CPEs on the (ISC)2 site at least 20 times.
  • Attempt to view CPEs on the (ISC)2 site at least 10 times.
  • Ensure that you have made no posts with negative feedback about this on the (ISC)

ENDURE.png

The ultimate badge; to earn it you must complete the following:

• Attempt to register CPEs on the (ISC)2 site at least 40 times.
  • Attempt to view CPEs on the (ISC)2 site at least 15 times.
  • Retain membership (CISSP / SSCP / CCSP / CAP / CSSLP / HCISSP) until <date>.

Notes:

• CPE registrations / views before the site's revamp are not applicable.
  • Moderators should check posts to determine eligibility for the badges.
  • AI may be used to ensure no conflicts occur when awarding badges.

(My apologies to the managers / moderators of the community; I needed a new way to vent my frustrations)

Shannon D'Cruz,
CISM, CISSP

www.linkedin.com/in/shannondcruz
9 Replies
Beads
Advocate I

@Shannon

I suspect your getting some negative feedback in terms of generational expectations and length of career issues.

Those of us who are say late baby boomers were trained from birth to work hard, contribute, keep your head down and compete individually but carry the group when necessary. Millennials have been taught much the opposite, growing up with far more emphasis on collaboration and most notably "awards". 

As far as rewards go, you have a number of audiences and expectations, hence the pushback on such.

Keep that in mind.

- Brent Eads (BEads)

Shannon
Community Champion

@Beads

Rest assured, this is purely related to the badges & the CPE portal. I am appreciative of the community and will continue to contribute to it / support it.

At the same time, its shortcomings can't go unnoticed and are to be pointed out, to be addressed by those who maintain the site and it's operations. That was the purpose of this...

Shannon D'Cruz,
CISM, CISSP

www.linkedin.com/in/shannondcruz
Beads
Advocate I

Its my attempt to help you understand why the pushback, nothing more.

SamanthaO_isc2
ISC2 Former Staff

Hello @Shannon

We appreciate you bringing these concerns to us.  Our team is working through all documented issues with the CPE Portal and are actively fixing those issues while putting a priority on problems where users cannot gain access to the Portal.  The (ISC)2 team is looking to complete all of the enhancement work on the portal in 2019. I understand the frustrations that you and other members have brought forward, and we encourage you all to continue to share your recommendations so that we can work to make the Portal the best that it can be for everyone.  Based off of all of the feedback we have received our teams are working on guides and tutorials to help navigate through the existing portal. 

If you, or anyone else, is experiencing issues with the portal, we ask that you engage with Member Services, who can be reached at membersupport@isc2.org

Thank you,

Samantha O'Connor
(ISC)² Online Community Manager
rslade
Influencer II

@Shannon, that is priceless.  And, even though I am on the no badges and no kudos team, I will definitely kudo that as soon as August rolls around so I can use it to get the Enable badge.

Other posts: https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
Jerry
Newcomer III

Why are there so many negative comments about millennials on this forum? Almost every millennial I know and work with are combat veterans. The "boomers" bash the millennials, but don't have a problem sending them off to endless wars.
Beads
Advocate I

Its not just boomers that complain about how fickle and unreliable millennials came to the work place, you hear the same exact comments from 'the greatest generation' and generation X. Even Generation Y or the millenials themselves complain about how fickle millenials come across. 

Much of the digression of late in my area is seeing business move into major metropolises. Spending millions if not billions of dollars to relocate into the major cities where the millennial generation complained loudly that it was the place they wanted to be. Locally, we have seen McDonald's, Walgreens, Takeda pharmaceuticals and a host of other businesses, some 5500 local jobs move to Chicago only to fast hear the millennials complain that they no longer want to live the downtown dream. Now, they want to move to the suburbs but their jobs, once local are now 30-50 miles away and its difficult to recruit people to move into the cities! I hear this every day from workers, hiring managers and workers.

My own organization spent millions convincing staff to come into the city, only to see 36 percent leave the organization citing the commute into the city as the primary reason.

I am a disabled veteran of another generation as well so its nothing to do with being a veteran either. Generation-Y has made to tempting a target not take advantage.

Now, if I may go back to my board hiatus...

- b/eads

Jerry
Newcomer III

@Beads wrote:

Its not just boomers that complain about how fickle and unreliable millennials came to the work place, you hear the same exact comments from 'the greatest generation' and generation X. Even Generation Y or the millenials themselves complain about how fickle millenials come across. 

Much of the digression of late in my area is seeing business move into major metropolises. Spending millions if not billions of dollars to relocate into the major cities where the millennial generation complained loudly that it was the place they wanted to be. Locally, we have seen McDonald's, Walgreens, Takeda pharmaceuticals and a host of other businesses, some 5500 local jobs move to Chicago only to fast hear the millennials complain that they no longer want to live the downtown dream. Now, they want to move to the suburbs but their jobs, once local are now 30-50 miles away and its difficult to recruit people to move into the cities! I hear this every day from workers, hiring managers and workers.

My own organization spent millions convincing staff to come into the city, only to see 36 percent leave the organization citing the commute into the city as the primary reason.

I am a disabled veteran of another generation as well so its nothing to do with being a veteran either. Generation-Y has made to tempting a target not take advantage.

Now, if I may go back to my board hiatus...

- b/eads

Just another version of "young people these days are so lazy and entitled".  I get it now.

rslade
Influencer II

> Jerry (Newcomer II) posted a new reply in Welcome on 10-10-2019 07:25 PM in the

>     Just another version of "young people these days are
> so lazy and entitled".  I get it now.

"The earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption
abound. Children no longer mind parents. And it is evident that
the end of the world is fast approaching."
- Syrian tablet, 2800 BC

====================== (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade@vcn.bc.ca slade@victoria.tc.ca rslade@computercrime.org
Patriotism, is when love of your own people comes first;
nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first
- Charles de Gaulle
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://twitter.com/rslade
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
https://is.gd/RotlWB

Other posts: https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468