Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
notetaker
Newcomer II

ISC2 scam

I passed the HCISPP exam in June 2018. I submitted documents they asked for to verify experience and dates. They kept asking for more and more documents, so I submitted sales receipts, a contract, and even a letter from my assistant to explain my job duties. They kept saying it’s not acceptable.

I’m not a corporation; I can’t get a supervisor to write a letter for me. Also, ISC2 requires another credentialed member to “sponsor” the candidate, but since I don’t know anyone who has the HCISPP credential, I had to use them (ISC2) as my sponsor. It sounds like a good-ol-boy system, where outsiders aren’t welcome.

It seems they want my proprietary information or trade secrets. I suppose since I didn’t take their $4,000 training program and walked in off the street and passed their exam, they find it hard to believe someone who’s not been working “in their world” could pass the muster. Given the fact that I am a sole proprietor and entrepreneur and not a player of their corporate world, they seem to have some bias against me.

They don’t even have the common courtesy to return a phone call as I requested.

This is my welcome to ISC2. 

27 Replies
unixgeek21
Newcomer III

This must just be some kind of misunderstanding.   You mentioned that you can't get a supervisor to write a letter for you...Can you get your client to write the letter and vouch your contract work you've done for them then?   I take it that the HCISPP credential must be required or part of the contract?

unixgeek21
Newcomer III

I recently got my CISSP credential and I did it all on my own self-paced study by reading the official certification book (Sybex) and other resoucres.   I didn't go thru any official (ISC)2 training class as I simply couldn't afford it paying out on my pocket.    Having said these, I don't think (ISC)2 will penalize or punish anyone not taking their official training class...

Flyslinger2
Community Champion

I have been concerned about the lack of consultant/small business entrepreneur capability within the ISC2 website.  Most of my "adult" working career I was a self-employed  small business owner.  I was heavily involved with IAM during that time frame.  The requirement by ISC2 to provide job offer letters is biased against this situation.

SamanthaO_isc2
ISC2 Former Staff

Hello @notetaker

We have contacted Member Services, and they are familiar with your case. We recommend you continue to work through the team to resolve or clarify any questions you have about the endorsement process.

UPDATE: All posts related to this matter have been consolidated. 

Samantha O'Connor
(ISC)² Online Community Manager
fortean
Contributor III

@notetaker- very sorry to see you're disappointed.  From my experience, the accreditation process works fine, and normally, when a person fails that process, he or she indeed should not be given the credential, sorry to say.

Yes, of course this is somewhat of what you call "an old boys network" - a group of peers, whom share common values, a Code of Ethics, and we even have initiation rites Man Wink  .. namely, that you have to sit for an exam, pass, then prove you have worked in the field, and yes, then "one of us", a person that sufficiently knows you, will have to endorse you. And then you are part, indeed, of a network of professionals.  I can't, for the life of me, see what is wrong with that.

About the endorsement: my endorser was a friend an collegue of mine, who had worked with me for years, and was honoured that I asked him to endorse me and gladly did so. But I do agree that it is entirely possible to work in the field and not know any (ISC)² certified person that might endorse you. It is exactly for that reason that there is an alternate route: you can be endorsed by (ISC)². But - and that also makes perfect sense to me - given they haven't worked with you, requires additional documentation. I must say that I would not hire a person either when he showed me some sales receipts to prove his trustworthyness and professionalism. Perhaps a few letters of recommendation from your clients would help,  or references from people that hired you, stuff like that. 

About you not being accepted because you haven't sat "their 4000$ course": from my personal experience I can assure you that that makes no difference whatsoever. I passed my CISSP (and my CCSP, for that matter) by simply ordering the CBK (spending just a few tenners) and studying that. After passing the exam, I then provided my CV and some references, and one of my collegues endorsed me. I got accepted without any problems.  So did many other people I know, so - no, that's not the reason.

I can't imagine that you'd need to convey trade secrets to convince (ISC)² that you can be a HCISSP. I most certainly did not have to do that to become a CISSP. However, let's see it from "the old boys" side: there is this gentleman that passes the exam, fails to give sufficient credentials to prove his experience in the field and knows nobody that can endorse him - heck, I'd be hesitant to hire you myself, if you showed me that track record.

You proved to be able to study theory - you passed the exam. But that's not what the (H)CISSP is all about, methinks. It is also about experience and trust, and given that you work in our trade, you should understand that they can't simply take your word for it.

--
Heinrich W. Klöpping, MSc CISSP CCSP CIPP/E CTT+
notetaker
Newcomer II

All were submitted. They are biased. Now they are trying to censor my comments here. 

You're an insider, so of course you will try to protect the credibility of this corrupt organization.

notetaker
Newcomer II

Member services has failed to return phone calls and act in a professional manner. Therefore, I have no choice but to post my complaints online, and there's nothing you can do about it.

notetaker
Newcomer II

@Flyslinger2 wrote:

I have been concerned about the lack of consultant/small business entrepreneur capability within the ISC2 website.  Most of my "adult" working career I was a self-employed  small business owner.  I was heavily involved with IAM during that time frame.  The requirement by ISC2 to provide job offer letters is biased against this situation.

Exactly, unless you're a corporate slave, you're an outsider. They don't like outsiders coming off the street and getting credentialed by their organization because they can't make money when you don't need their overpriced training for a big organization. That's how this org stays in business...

notetaker
Newcomer II

@unixgeek21 wrote:

This must just be some kind of misunderstanding.   You mentioned that you can't get a supervisor to write a letter for you...Can you get your client to write the letter and vouch your contract work you've done for them then?   I take it that the HCISPP credential must be required or part of the contract?

I'm a sole proprietor. I don't have a supervisor. I ask ISC2 if I could get a doctor to write a letter but they said "no." They don't even have trust in a doctor. I did have my administrative assistant write a letter, but they ignored it. I also submitted a contract showing the dates as a sole proprietor. This organization is biased against sole proprietors. Likewise, they can only make money if they sell you their overpriced training.