Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dain
Contributor I

Can I opt out of kudos and badges?

Its annoying, its childish, and the last thing I need is the stupid announcements coming in email that I attained a new badge/received a kudo/whatever.  Congratulations for having a freaking conversation... ooooh go me.

I wouldn't even give trophies to all the 4 year olds in micro soccer, they got soccer balls so they could play more.

This, when coupled with the whole attention economy dopamine hack bs that its based on, is not only ridiculous and offensive, it is NOT what ISC2 should be putting out in the wide world (let a lone to its constituency) just for clicks, and garbage metrics to attract more certification payments.

As Brett said, on the forum ISC has chosen to close, welcome to the new MCSE.

42 Replies
Dain
Contributor I

ok, seriously everyone out of the pool

who just gave me kudos on this!!!!

(I know I looked, 2 more emails to delete)

@jdl I'm not sure but I think you should change your icon to mephistopheles or loki, depending . (alternatively awful evil, or chaotic good... roll 3d6 for damage and # of spam emails)

jdl
Newcomer II

Ha!

That was me that kudo'd you!  How ironic you got kudos for suggesting opting out of kudos!

PS for the last 24 hours you're the #1 kudo'd author and I'm #5.

PSS can kudos be removed?  My kudo to you on this thread is gone.  I guess mods can take them away.

Dain
Contributor I

umm seriously? so the admins can just go and remove kudos that they don't like? 

Or did you find a way to revoke your kudo?

Dain
Contributor I

and now it seems like its back....?

very weird

jdl
Newcomer II

So I see it's kudo'd again.  I found a user can take back a kudo but I did not.  I will add it back so you should be at 2 then.

EDIT

Something is strange with the kudo here.  I did not take it away but it is there though it wasn't when I previously posted.  <scratching head>  Oh well.

Baechle
Advocate I

Dain,

No.  That was me.  I gave you a Kudo because I agree with your post... but then I took it back because, well.  That kinda was like feeding the beast, eh?  😄

LOL

EB.

jdl
Newcomer II

I wonder if Availability of the mail functionality was tested in the case of a Kudo Storm™.

Flyslinger2
Community Champion

Start with <eye roll>.  Thanks for verbalizing what I thought when I joined this a few weeks ago.  I can't join the other forum yet because the person who is supposed to do the leg work to verify my creds still hasn't completed it. It's been 3 months. < ------- <eye roll>

I don't have my official number even though the bruises, scrapes and broken bones are still mending from the whole end to end process of taking and passing the exam.  

On to the topic.  My wife and I manage a large group of kids at church. Above 350 kids and another 150 or so parents.  We have two large events each year that are completely voluntary.  One is very similar to the Scouts Pinewood derby.  The kits include a participation ribbon for each block of wood.  We remove that from the kit before they are sold to the participant.  We do not hand them out at the end of the program.  Each group has 3 design trophies and 3 speed trophies that you can attain if you earn it.  For those that didn't get a trophy, try harder next year.

If we keep rewarding for each little thing that is done real accomplishment will get so water down that no one will want to leave their parents basement.

I use kudo's here when a statement is so strong AND correct that it needs to be acknowledged.  At least its not a heart. <eye roll>

I assume that a marketing person thought this would be a great idea to foster "community". More <eye roll>.  

dr_bjoern
Viewer II

Dain, I'm very tempted to give you a kudo for your original post, but as you don't seem to appreciate it too much I force myself to not do it 😉

(Must not click kudo button, must not click kudo button, must not ...)