Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joe-Raymond
Newcomer I

Active ISC2 chapters - are they real?

Apologies ahead of the point for the potentially cynical tone...

... but as I have been looking for an ISC2 local-ish chapter to join (I'm in "the sticks" of the rural mid-state/Hudson Valley NY) and expected that I'd likely have to choose between the Capital District (Albany NY) or metro NYC as was the case for my ISACA membership...

... I am quite dismayed to discover that (at least as far as my digging around on the various ISC2 affiliated portals that NYC (which one might reasonably expect to have a robust population of ISC2 certified members running various community support or cyber education efforts) seems barely active with only five members.

Parsing other major US metro chapters (on this site) seems to be yielding similarly low enrollment/involvement.  Am I missing something, or is the US-based ISC2 membership at large simply not interested in chapter membership?

Respectfully (and somewhat anxiously) yours,

Joe Raymond

11 Replies
CarlosSal07
Viewer

I just tried to get involved with the Austin chapter in ATX and it doesn't seem to be active either...

Brewdawg
Contributor I

The D/FW Chapter is only active virtually it seems.  I miss having in-person gatherings with ISC2 chapters.  

JoePete
Advocate I

@Joe-Raymond wrote:

Am I missing something, or is the US-based ISC2 membership at large simply not interested in chapter membership?

Given that the strategy is to change the (ISC)2 membership, one possible answer to your query is "wait and see."

I think the challenge the (ISC)2 encountered with the local chapters is competition. For example, ISSA's model was very much built around local chapters, and I think these had more traction, sponsors, members, and history than the (ISC)2 ones. Similarly, user groups, especially in metro areas, have deep roots, leadership, volunteers, conferences etc. That's the real hidden hurdle - can you get the leaders and volunteers to sustain a local chapter? Odds are most of the people of that inclination are already running some other group.

bcallahan
Newcomer I

Hi! If you're in the CapDist, please email me. We are starting an ISC2 CapDist NY Chapter. Look for my name @RPI.edu and reach out to me to get involved. We'd be happy to have you!

--
Brian Robert Callahan, Ph.D., CISSP, CCSP, SSCP, CC
ISC2 Security Congress 2024 speaker
JKWiniger
Community Champion

ISC2 should really mandate a requirement for chapters to have X amount of in person meetings. I think during covid a lot of chapters turned to virtual because in person was not possible, but now they have just gotten lazy and decided virtual was easier. The problem is that this cuts out a lot of the socializing and side talk that are so very important in these meetings!

John-

Joe-Raymond
Newcomer I

In re:

*That's the real hidden hurdle - can you get the leaders and volunteers to
> sustain a local chapter? Odds are most of the people of that inclination
> are already running some other group.*

That makes much more sense now that you've mentioned it!

>From my read up on the CPE credits for engaging in chapter activities, it
seems like I could leverage activity with ISSA or ISACA to some extent for
(hopefully Class A) CPE credit. I'll have to read up some more on that
though.

Very Respectfully yours,

*C. Joseph Raymond*

*Pronouns: *
*he/him/his **M:* 347.640.0789

*F:* 646.813.1813

*NYU* | *Tandon *Cyber Fellow

*ISC2* | CC
<>
emb021
Advocate I

@Joe-Raymond said "From my read up on the CPE credits for engaging in chapter activities, it
seems like I could leverage activity with ISSA or ISACA to some extent for
(hopefully Class A) CPE credit. I'll have to read up some more on that
though."

That is correct.  

There is nothing requiring you to join an ISC2 chapter.

ISSA is the professional association for the infosec community, and is one of the founding organizations for ISC2.
ISACA is the professional association for the IT audit community.
I've been a member of both long before I got my CISSP, and am active in both my local chapters.  And using my activities there for my CPEs.

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow
Brewdawg
Contributor I

@JKWiniger wrote:

ISC2 should really mandate a requirement for chapters to have X amount of in person meetings. I think during covid a lot of chapters turned to virtual because in person was not possible, but now they have just gotten lazy and decided virtual was easier. The problem is that this cuts out a lot of the socializing and side talk that are so very important in these meetings!

John-

I tend to agree with this, although in the D/FW market, I am beginning to think that one chapter cannot adequately service this area.  Geographically I am 25 miles from Dallas, and at least an hour plus to where we used to meet with traffic.  Member in FW could be 1.5 - 2 hours depending on traffic and location.  So even when they were having in-person meetings I was not able to make it.  

So, virtual makes sense to a point, but having no in-person events at all means I am not socializing and getting to know other ISC2 members in this area.  

I have been a lot more involved with ISSA and InfraGard over the last several years.  And get a lot of value from it.  

About the only time I see other ISC2 members at something related to ISC2, is when they have a booth at local conferences.  

I couldn't pick most of the current chapter leaders out of a lineup now, which is sad since I was one of the original people that started the D/FW chapter. I'm normally the only one that I know of from the D/FW chapter that attends Security Congress.  

Definitely feel that the chapter program needs some more guidance or restructuring, especially for chapters that are trying to cover a large geographically dispersed area. 

Joe-Raymond
Newcomer I

Hi @bcallahan (Brian)!

I was unable to locate any specific @rpi.edu address folks, but I sent you a direct message with my contact info!

Looking forward to hearing from you and the good folks at CD-ISC2!

Best,

Joe Raymond