Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

13% Rise in Ransomware Last Year - Verizon's 2022 Data Breach Investigation Report

Verizon has published its 2022 Data Breach Investigation Report, finding that ransomware rose by 13% last year (a greater increase than the previous five years combined).

According to the report, 82% of breaches involved the human element, which encompasses phishing, stolen credentials, misuse, or error. The researchers also found that supply chain breaches were behind 62% of intrusions last year. "There are four key paths leading to your estate," Verizon writes, and lists them: "Credentials, Phishing, Exploiting vulnerabilities, and Botnets. All four are pervasive in all areas of the DBIR, and no organization is safe without a plan to handle each of them." And while the rise in ransomware features prominently in the report, Verizon notes that "ransomware by itself is, at its core, simply a model of monetizing an organization's access." 

Community, What do you think? Do you agree?

ISC2 Community Manager
2 Replies
Beads
Advocate I

Oh I can agree with the increase even if it appears to be a bit lower than predicted. Problem is we have so many good technologies to stop this before it takes hold this shouldn't be seen at all. Even a basic risk analysis shows how much protection costs versus the probable cost of paying the ransom.

We still practice risk analysis right?

- B/Eads

tmekelburg1
Community Champion

Agreed and this stuck out to me:

tmekelburg1_0-1653504799869.png

On a macro scale, the long term solution seems to be discovering ways to break the value chain (page 21). Any interruption along this process would make the breach pointless if they couldn't cash-out with the data.