Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ericgeater
Community Champion

online testing platforms

Greetings.  Surveymonkey provides a platform for companies create and distribute feedback.  Is there such a service that provides online multiple-choice test-taking?

We're looking for an online test solution that includes accountability for attendance, presence, presenting an exam, and a permanent record of the attendee's performance in that test.  Covid has changed our group behaviors, but we still require annual accountability for some exams.

I'm not expecting Pearson-Vue or PSI level type stuff, either.  Just recordkeeping.

--
"A claim is as good as its veracity."
5 Replies
CraginS
Defender I

@ericgeater wrote:

Greetings.  Surveymonkey provides a platform for companies create and distribute feedback.  Is there such a service that provides online multiple-choice test-taking?

We're looking for an online test solution that includes accountability for attendance, presence, presenting an exam, and a permanent record of the attendee's performance in that test.  Covid has changed our group behaviors, but we still require annual accountability for some exams.

I'm not expecting Pearson-Vue or PSI level type stuff, either.  Just recordkeeping.

Eric,

You can get all of those basic features using general survey sites like SurveyMonkey, The advanced options for paid levels of SurveyMonek give you a lot of power over the survey process, and you always get solid records. However, identification and verification are never going to be easy with online solutions. However, what you cannot get from them is identify verification, oversight to spot cheating, fraud, etc. You can only assume a survey site should be used for open book with "Call a Lifeline" test takers or their hired proxies. There are some universities that have used testing procedures requiring an online monitor human for each test taker with live camera monitoring and strict procedures. 

I'm curious, what sort of test requirements are you needing to support? 

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
ericgeater
Community Champion

My question began as one posed from one of our staff.  He regularly instructs groups in workplace matters which require completion with a multiple choice test.  When I asked him if it's his responsibility to retain pass / fail records, he said he's only required to instruct classes, perform demonstrations if applicable, and provide the test materials.  Grading isn't his responsibility.

However, he's thinking about how to keep this process in place, now that we're socially distancing.  He lives in the world of pen and paper.

All of this caused me to think of testing as a web-based model, with varying required controls available.  Something requiring complexities like camera proctoring, or the ability to read or capture ID card data, would be very complex and require stringent security solutions.  For something like this, an online portal could take a teacher's authorization code, and the student would sit in front of a battery of random questions.

--
"A claim is as good as its veracity."
Kemp
Viewer

Hello Eric,

Have you tried EasyTestMaker or ClassMaker (free for edu)? Both are good for this type of testing. I often create multiple-choice tests in Blackboard though (sometimes in JotForm, but my subscription is over and I haven't renewed it yet). We use it mostly for exams at the University of Houston.

Scott

Scott Kemp, UH faculty and staff ------------------------------ buyessays

canLG0501
Newcomer III

Considering the need for an online test solution that includes accountability for attendance, presence, presenting an exam, and a permanent record of the attendee's performance in that test can be a daunting task.  I would recommend reviewing an LMS similar to SAP Litmos.  You may not find all the features desired, but you can prioritize those that are most important to assist in your selection.  

Below are some of the other considerations that will help to pick the right solution:

-Ability to bulk upload assessment questions

-Assign notifications for participants

-Self-Sign Up or Account Creation

-Integrations with Video Conferencing Tools

isc2_16v
Newcomer I

Hello.  My last client used an online assessment tool called Glider. https://glider.ai/  Their HR group used it for candidate performance testing and I used it to support their in-house training academy.

They may have the features you're looking for without all the extra overhead.

Jose