cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcontesti
Community Champion

Stolen Cryptocurrency?????

This one, just made go Hmmmm.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-cryptocurrency-theft-case-1.6905095

The gent was accused of stealing Crypto from his girlfriend's cryptocurrency but then was asked to help her recover it?

Thoughts?

3 Replies
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Well, he's been found not guilty - therefore 'recovering it', per the judge's advice may incriminate him (not sure on the law here, double jeopardy vs new evidence).

As he's been taken to court why would he want to help his ex?

Well, there's his convictions for "fraud, theft, break and enter, possession of stolen property and causing an animal to be in distress". This guy has form.

It looks like he set an account up - but didn't give her the credentials.

From the sub article in 2014:

"Orion Alexander Holtby and his family have been evicted by six landlords in Victoria since 2010 for failing to pay rent."

It seems that he's a prolific wrongdoer, but not good enough to avoid being caught.

If I was forced to jump to a rash conclusion, presented the baffling and contradictory nonsense in the story:

Likely he's thinking he could hold onto it until it's all forgotten about and then move the coins or sell them when he feels the coast is clear. 😛

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@Early_Adopter   @dcontesti   Well if this story is true, any country switching over to CDBC's with the Government's central bank having the ability to prevent withdrawals, will certainly reduce the level of trust required, if digital money as a strategy is being pushed.  A central bank digital currency (CBDC) is the digital form of a country's fiat currency. 

https://decrypt.co/148786/brazil-cbdc-allows-central-bank-freeze-funds-adjust-balances

Regards

Caute_Cautim

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

You can use any Crypto Currency as long as it's my secure, federal, backdoor controlled cryptocurrency... 😛

Feel free to use any cloud you like, as long as the data center stands where my rainforests used to be (compensate me for lost biodiversity), and my head of intelligence has your ops chief on speed dial!

Blockchain gets less useful when it's not all equal and now that we have Large Language Models it doesn't have to fix everything anymore!

As for the story, some of it might be true...