cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marcipicus
Newcomer I

Manual Configuration of VPN(No vpn app) windows 10

Hi there,

I subscribed to nordvpn and started using the app to connect to their servers but my computer started acting funny(Slow/No internet symbol while internet still works).

I would rather just use the vpn settings in windows 7 instead of having an app that causes problems.

Are there any vpn services that allow you to use their servers without using the apps?

Thank you for any help you can give.

7 Replies
askripnikov
Newcomer II

Hi Marcipicus.

"Manual Configuration of VPN(No vpn app) windows 10"

"I would rather just use the vpn settings in windows 7"

So which OS version you're going to use and which have issues?

Also be informed that unless you have paid subscription Windows 7 is EOL/EOS and many applications already dropping support for it.

Regarding your issues maybe you can use their support?
https://support.nordvpn.com/ 

CraginS
Defender I

@Marcipicus wrote:

Hi there,

I subscribed to nordvpn and started using the app to connect to their servers but my computer started acting funny(Slow/No internet symbol while internet still works).

I would rather just use the vpn settings in windows 7 instead of having an app that causes problems.

Are there any vpn services that allow you to use their servers without using the apps?

Thank you for any help you can give.

Marcus,

First, welcome to the Community. I hope you will find it a rewarding place to hang out. As a new member, I'd like to help you get the most out of membership. In short order you have asked three very basic questions about using Windows 10 (VPN connection, system activity monitoring, and antivirus selection) , indicating to me you have not, yet, learned the basics of system administration in Win10. Please understand that while active participants in this community love to give advice, help, and opinions, this is not a general purpose computer user group forum. To paraphrase,  this community is not the Ask a CISSP forum.

This community is for those in, or aspiring to enter, the information security field, and particularly those who hold or seek certifications from (ISC)2. If that description does not fit your situation, this is not the place for you.

Next, this community is not intended to be a free general computer consultancy service. Members here expect a level of professionalism in information technology and information security from participants. Therefore, when you ask for advice or help on a topic related to infosec, out of courtesy you should describe what research you have already done to try to answer your own question. That keeps members from wasting their time and yours covering the same ground. Specifically in this VPN question, it appears you may have made no effort at all to perform research. I ran a web search on the phrase "connecting to a vpn host with windows 10" and on the first Google results page, the  third non-advertisement result was

=-=-==

support.microsoft.com › en-us › windows-10-connect-t...

Connect to a VPN in Windows 10 - Windows Help
Apr 22, 2020 - This is the VPN connection name you'll look for when connecting. In the Server name or address box, enter the address for the VPN server.

=-=-=

Hmm, what a coincidence, finding help on a Microsoft question at the Microsoft Support site.

If you are interested in learning how to work in the infosec field, I hope you stay, learn, and enjoy the community.  There are plenty of newbies here asking and informing, and a bunch of old heads happy to guide them as well as continuing to learn, ourselves.

Good luck, and once more, welcome.

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
JKWiniger
Community Champion

I would really suggest seeing if you can get the Nord app working since the app has the option for NordLynx which is built around wireguard and is said to be much faster than other protocols.

Just a thought.

John-

Marcipicus
Newcomer I

Hello...thank you for the feces sandwich.(Look it up in urban dictionary using the bad word starting with an s.

I agree you probably don't want to deal with my questions as you probably deal with more complicated matters but....is it really that much of a problem? You could have said it politely and I would have graciously apologised and let it be.

My issues with your response....

1. I am not a mongoloid..I did do research and if you had read my question properly it was not "How do you set up a vpn in windows 10"...it was do you know of a company that provides vpn service without the requirement of installing an app.

2.As far as I could tell nordvpn does not publicize their server's ip address or protocols used so that you could connect using windows settings.

Check out the following site and see if you can detect a method of using nordvpn without the app.

Install NordVPN 

3. All the vpn providers I found use an app as shown by the following site in pcmag.com.

Search for "Getting Started With a VPN" in the following site.

PCMAG setup and use vpn 

I know it's probably not industry experts working there but it shows how most of the vpn companies work.

3. I want to use the vpn settings in windows 10 since I know there is less of a chance of being hacked by just using the settings instead of installing an app .

"I would rather just use the vpn settings in windows 7 instead of having an app that causes problems."

4. In anticipation of you responding with(Just use the app) I do not blindly trust any software, free or proprietary so like I said before I would like to use the settings.

You have probably already seen the link below but I'll share it anyways.

NSA hacking tools 

5.I made the dean's list in computer engineering while I was in university and worked with Kinaxis and IBM as a co-op student at 22.
I dropped out because of health reasons and the only reason I am sharing this is so that you don't listen to your pride thinking
that you deserve more respect than others because of your education, certifications, and place of employment.

Sorry for being an ***hole but I've put up with enough in my life and a little respect and courtesy costs you nothing.

You never know...it might do you some good.

Ban me if you want...I don't care.

JKWiniger
Community Champion

I'll hit the tech first and then the rest... Just like back in the day when I built computers from parts I liked that more than buying an off the shelf unit because if a company is selling you a part they depend on that single part being good. Let's say the sound card. If that sound card you bought doesn't work well you will go with a different brand in the future. If the sound card in an off the shelf unit stinks you may think, well but the rest is good. I hope you see the different I am trying to make.

As for VPN software, I would take the Nord app over the built in Microsoft client for the same reasons. If there is an issue with the Nord app it could sink their company. If there is a problem with the Windows 10 VPN clients, well they will just fix it at some point and life goes on.. so...

Now for the rest, An important lesson I learned is not to let other cause you to react... it is far better to take a step back and act instead. You know what you have been through and what you have archived and you shouldn't have to prove it to anyone one here. We are all supposed to be mentors and help each other. I have been in IT for a long time and I still hit times when I can't figure things out and feel a bit dumb because of it. What's don't I know my stuff?!?! Sometimes we just use the wrong key words in our search or we just don't see things the way we should. I have a few friends where we bounce problems off each other just to get a different perspective or idea. We all know we are all smart people and not having an answer doesn't change that. You can't take it so hard when one person says something bad. Personally I welcome all questions because I don't work in all areas that I know all the time, so question help me to think and keep up on things. Your question in the other thread about a program that records what an install does, well, I have always wanted one but never found one. I was watching that threat hoping someone would mentions something I had never found, and maybe others who are quick to judge might know of that program. You know, since it was such a silly question that everyone should know...

Just my take...

John-

CISSP #31964

dcontesti
Community Champion

@JKWiniger wrote:

As for VPN software, I would take the Nord app over the built in Microsoft client for the same reasons. If there is an issue with the Nord app it could sink their company. If there is a problem with the Windows 10 VPN clients, well they will just fix it at some point and life goes on.. so...

John-

CISSP #31964

I have to agree with John, I avoid M$oft build in apps if at all possible.

Can't speak to Nord, we use another tool but I do get upset with M$oft telling me the bugs are added value 😉

Take care, have a good weekend.

d

AndreaMoore
Community Manager

I hope the responses helped you find what you are looking for @Marcipicus

I'm going to turn off the replies since the conversation took a turn off topic a bit. 

Let's all remember that written responses can be taken differently than face-to-face conversation. I'd like to keep our replies positive, educational and helpful. I know people are on edge globally right now for many reasons.

Thanks everyone. 

Take care,

Andrea

ISC2 Community Manager