Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lamont29
Community Champion

Learning Suggestion

I had earlier come to the conclusion that I would never advance my tech skills if I didn't move to the Linux platform. However, ALL of my productivity can be achieved on the Microsoft platform. Whenever I am home, I tend to go back to the MS platform when I would encounter a 'stuck point' as that's most familiar to me. Then I figured it out: What if Linux were the only platform available? What would I do then..? Invent Microsoft.?? So, what I did was on my last business trip, I brought along my Linux laptop (no dual boot), and I forced myself to achieve everything that I needed to get done using Ubuntu. This seems to work, as I am now very partial to my Linux laptop more than my Windows desktop. I will never throw the towel in on Microsoft - that would be even crazier than me never trying. I love Microsoft still, but many of you should try this if you can't manage your way around relying solely on Microsoft Windows.

Lamont Robertson
M.S., M.A., CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, CDPSE, MCSE
4 Replies
JKWiniger
Community Champion

@Lamont29 very good advice... I will add that I have found when I try to learn something, linux, a programing language or what have you it was always hard to just learn it for the hell of learning it. I found that if I have a reason to learn it things go much easier. I have a few programs that I run on linux and getting that up and running gave me the reason I needed to dig in and learn it...

Just a thought..

John-

AppDefects
Community Champion

@Lamont29 wrote:

I had earlier come to the conclusion that I would never advance my tech skills if I didn't move to the Linux platform. However, ALL of my productivity can be achieved on the Microsoft platform. Whenever I am home, I tend to go back to the MS platform when I would encounter a 'stuck point' as that's most familiar to me. Then I figured it out: What if Linux were the only platform available? What would I do then..? Invent Microsoft.?? So, what I did was on my last business trip, I brought along my Linux laptop (no dual boot), and I forced myself to achieve everything that I needed to get done using Ubuntu. This seems to work, as I am now very partial to my Linux laptop more than my Windows desktop. I will never throw the towel in on Microsoft - that would be even crazier than me never trying. I love Microsoft still, but many of you should try this if you can't manage your way around relying solely on Microsoft Windows.

Today the debate has shifted to whose Cloud is better? But does it matter? That depends Smiley Wink Every CSP has advantages and disadvantages. The next horizon of learning is the Cloud. You can take it anywhere! What I love about the Cloud is that there are no longer any physical constraints that previously were barriers to entry for learning. A great example of that is writing code and testing it on multiple platforms and device profiles. I can learn and practice Cloud skills and my current favorite applied DevSecOps. 

JKWiniger
Community Champion

@AppDefects With the latest update to VMware Fusion on the Mac they now support containers! I think this is a good move for them as it will allow people to start getting used to containers if they do not have access to a cloud provider. Also, anyone who wants to learn more about the cloud, Microsoft has lots of FREE training on Azure over at Microsoft Learn 

John-

Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

To be honest it depends what you're doing.  Distros like Linux Mint give an almost Windows 7 style desk top, so there's virtually no shock when moving from windows to Linux.  You can guess what I did with my old XP laptops 😉  Similarly Raspbian on an RPI4 is not a unfamiliar experience if you're used to Office and browser based services are essentially the same on every platform.  It's really only when you come to the CLI and programming that you notice the differences.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS