Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcontesti
Community Champion

Largest cyber attack to happen in 5 months?

An article in Forbes reads that the author believes that the largest cyberattack will happen or be announced in the next six months.....

The article was written by a professional investor who works for a disruption research firm.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephenmcbride1/2020/05/14/why-the-largest-cyberattack-in-history-will-...

I agree with some of his points but every attack I see lately is bigger and worse than the last one....thinking of the latet hack of the GSMS hack now demanding $42Million by REvil.

https://pagesix.com/2020/05/14/la-law-firm-hackers-double-ransom-demand-threaten-donald-trump/

Not sure I would threaten Trump (like him or not)

Thoughts?

d

2 Replies
CISOScott
Community Champion

The problem with threatening a president or leader of a nation is that you then bring additional resources in that would not have been brought in if you were attacking an individual or business. They may regret having done so. Now the Secret Service, FBI, DoD, etc can all be brought in and use their resources to find and fight this group.

Beads
Advocate I

A lot to unpack here. A speculative Forbes columnist making a bold but not unprecedented prediction, a probable nation state bad actor opening performing espionage. Its the speculation that bothers me not the information. Having worked in the career intelligence community, my sense is that most of this is leaked information in one form or another and we are likely to see this become more normal during election cycles than not. Keep that in mind, its not about the individual but politics as a whole have reached new lows. No one is or will be safe from such attacks as these things start at the top of the mountain and roll down hill.

Still people will revel in their short term glory only to find themselves on the short end of the stick, soon enough.

Good luck fighting the hoards!

- b/eads