Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Has RSA-2048 bit encryption been broken by Quantum Computing?

Hi All

A statement has been made by https://www.linkedin.com/in/edgerck/

"Today, we could announce it. Quantum computing (QC) has become a reality. We broke the RSA -2048 key. Ron Rivest is a dear friend, but that was needed to advance.

The QC version used here has simultaneous multiple-states logic (following ‘all states at once’), with more than a googol of possible states."

A googol is 100 zeros:

A googol is 10 to the 100th power, which is 1 followed by 100 zeros. While this is an unimaginably large number, there's still an infinite quantity of larger numbers.

"We show that the equivalence of QC techniques (with IBM, Google and others compared with our version of QC) has been hidden for about 2,500 years – since Pythagoras.

All our QC computations were done in a commercial cellphone, or a commercial Linux desktop, as our QC devices -- opening the user market to many industries. No cryogenics or special materials were used.

A post-quantum, HIPAA compliant, end-to-end, patent-free, export-free, secure online solution, is being created, based on ZSentry as used from 2004 to 2014, to replace RSA. One needs a quantum-resistant algorithm, because all existing public-key encryption can be broken.

The U.S. NIST needs to deprecate RSA today! Otherwise, SNDL continues.

Is it true, apparently he will be making an official announcement or is this just a Halloween joke?

We factored (and published in LinkedIn) numbers with more than 10^1000 decimal digits, and the capital cost was less than $1,000.

The quantum computing (QC) version used here uses simultaneous multiple-states logic (following ‘all states at once’), with more than a googol of possible states.

We show that the equivalence of QC techniques (with IBM, Google and others compared with our version of QC) has been hidden for about 2,500 years – since Pythagoras.

All our computations were done in a commercial cellphone, or a commercial Linux desktop, as our QC devices -- opening the user market to many industries. No cryogenics or special materials were used.

A post-quantum, HIPAA compliant, end-to-end, patent-free, export-free, secure online solution, is being created, based on ZSentry as used from 2004 to 2014, to replace RSA. One needs a quantum-resistant algorithm, because all existing public-key encryption can be broken.

We further present 8 empirical conjectures, all supported by experiments, that should be helpful in the further development of QC, and applications to other areas. Applications to healthcare and cosmology are suggested."

(In publication)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UrdExQW0cs

Awaiting an official announcement.

If this is true, we have a serious issue worldwide!

Let the debate commence......

Regards

Caute_Cautim

26 Replies
ericgeater
Community Champion

I just got out my laptop to post this.  Great timing, CC.

The Veritasium link provided in the thread described the methodology for a quantum hack rather neatly.  Chasing patterns by remainders?  Absolutely amazing.  I highly recommend watching it.

This other video I found from IBM makes a few good points for preparing before quantum-safe computing arrives.  Second point he makes, unfortunately, is "Dude!  Where's my Data?!".  And in cloud world, since it's likely not quantum-safe, it's probably no longer Your Data, dude.

-----------
A claim is as good as its veracity.
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Hi All

I did a follow up on ResearchGate:  Which I have added in attached files.

https://www.mdpi.com/2227-7390/11/1/68

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/373516231_QC_breaks_101000_decimal_digits_cryptography_in_a...

Enjoy, I requested a copy of the original paper, we will see what happens from here.

On the chase?  Is it true, an oxymoron or a Halloween joke?

Regards

Caute_Cautim

jmsoares91
Viewer

Any POC available?
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

This Is why you should always, ultimately really on “Guns and Dogs”! For when security really matters…

“Ow! That dog bit me in the keys! Oh no, now he’s distributing them to his pack! Quick, gotta make an update to the CRL…”

We watch on with interest…
Jaccovantuijl
Viewer II

The research is fake

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@Jaccovantuijl   Well according to his privately released paper, which anyone can request, states they will go public via an IETF RFC and make a NIST submission too.

He claims that RSA-2048 bit is broken and can be broken by using his approach.  

His claim is that using their techniques using a commercial cellphone and Quantum Computing RSA-2048 Bit and that it is pathologically broken.  Increasing the key size is no help, and may make it easier to decrypt.

Until it is has been released, examined, I would not immediately state it is fake.

Based on their theorems.

Regards

Caute_Cautim

ericgeater
Community Champion

"I would not immediately state it is fake"

No matter what, it should be a clarion call to prioritize action.

-----------
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@ericgeater   I agree, but how many people are actually willing to listen without immediately stating it is a fake?  It is indeed a clarion call, but who is listening and willing to take action?

Often, we speak up, and immediately their hearing is turned off and blindly forgotten.

Regards

Caute_Cautim

ericgeater
Community Champion

"who is listening and willing to take action"

And because we're discussing vast pools of data, that's the very reason why I froze my credit reporting agency accounts and turned multifactor on for everything.  If nothing gets done, then my data will eventually be wilded anyway.  My efforts at that point should only address integrity from that moment forward, since confidentiality and availability really won't matter much after quantum.

-----------