Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Digital Identity and Zero Knowledge proofs

Hi All

Particularly aimed at @CraigS due to his love of cryptography:

"One of the best things about modern cryptography is the beautiful terminology. You could start any number of punk bands (or Tumblrs) named after cryptography terms like ‘hard-core predicate’, ‘trapdoor function’, or ‘impossible differential cryptanalysis’. And of course, I haven’t even mentioned the one term that surpasses all of these. That term is ‘zero knowledge‘.

In fact, the term ‘zero knowledge’ is so appealing that it leads to problems. People misuse it, assuming that zero knowledge must be synonymous with ‘really, really secure‘. Hence it gets tacked onto all kinds of stuff — like encryption systems and anonymity networks — that really have nothing to do with true zero knowledge protocols.

This all serves to underscore a point: zero-knowledge proofs are one of the most powerful tools cryptographers have ever devised. But unfortunately they’re also relatively poorly understood. In this series of posts I’m going try to give a (mostly) nonmathematical description of what ZK proofs are, and what makes them so special. In this post and the next I’ll talk about some of the ZK protocols we actually use."

https://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2014/11/27/zero-knowledge-proofs-illustrated-primer/?blogsu...

Regards

Caute_cautim

1 Reply
dcontesti
Community Champion

WOW, excellent read.  Thank you for sharing.

d